So, I'm thinking of grabbing a guitar from Musciansfriend.com. Just a standard strat, so I've played the thing before and I know what I'm getting myself into. Turns out, it's cheaper than going to my local music store and buying one off the shelf, even with shipping included. That and it's brand new right out of the case and such.

My question is to those who have experience with this website, is what are the chances of getting nailed with duty charges? Is it completely random, or what? I have purchased two guitars from ebay years ago, both from the States. One of which I got charged 80ish dollars duty and the other nothing. If anyone could shed some light on this for me, that'd be great.
I got hit with duty on all 3 orders I made through MF. Never ordered a guitar, but it was pedals, picks, and patch cables.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
when i order shit from there (which isn't often) I get it delivered to a shipping place in America, road trip to get it, and hide that shit in my trunk as I cross the border. It's the Canadian way to shop.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
when i order shit from there (which isn't often) I get it delivered to a shipping place in America, road trip to get it, and hide that shit in my trunk as I cross the border. It's the Canadian way to shop.

This x 100000000000000000000
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

If Only....

15 hour drive to the border.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

This is something I probably would have considered doing a year or two ago, but I still haven't gotten around to getting a passport. ps. Go Leafs

Maybe I'll try and get the price knocked down a couple hundred bucks at one of my regular music stores before I order it. I appreciate the quick responses guys, thank you.
Quote by Castiel_91
This is something I probably would have considered doing a year or two ago, but I still haven't gotten around to getting a passport. ps. Go Leafs

Maybe I'll try and get the price knocked down a couple hundred bucks at one of my regular music stores before I order it. I appreciate the quick responses guys, thank you.

I've had great experiences with American Musical. I got my studio stuff shipped here. I mean I got dinged a few bucks on duty, but really, the savings I made on the equipment alone was more than worth it.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I've had great experiences with American Musical. I got my studio stuff shipped here. I mean I got dinged a few bucks on duty, but really, the savings I made on the equipment alone was more than worth it.

Hmm, I'll have to have a look around the site and do some price comparing. Thanks, dude.
Go to your local music shop and show them/tell them about lower prices on MF or another legit site. Tell them that you want to support a local business and prefer buying in person, but you just can't justify paying so much more for that. They'll lower their price. If they're not idiots.
Quote by trueamerican
Go to your local music shop and show them/tell them about lower prices on MF or another legit site. Tell them that you want to support a local business and prefer buying in person, but you just can't justify paying so much more for that. They'll lower their price. If they're not idiots.

It's Canada. They normally won't beat online prices from stores in the states.
I know it's Canada.... My detective skills are such that I gleaned it pretty much immediately

But it's a major website, and you easily could get it online from America....
Quote by trueamerican
I know it's Canada.... My detective skills are such that I gleaned it pretty much immediately

But it's a major website, and you easily could get it online from America....

But that's just not how it works man. My amp cost $230 from MF, then as soon as it crossed that border, you had to tack on another $100 for duty.

Most business' will match their prices to what you'd pay to get the same item from the US after shipping, taxes, and duties.
This is why you are nothing more than a mall and a novelty sideshow where they put USA flag wrappers on ice cream cones. Also a steady supply of Buffalo and Detroit jokes.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
This is why you are nothing more than a mall and a novelty sideshow where they put USA flag wrappers on ice cream cones. Also a steady supply of Buffalo and Detroit jokes.

Just stop talking.