Hi, i just bought an electric drumkit and im confused on what i would need for a amplifier.

Heres the front

And the back

Sorry they're large but its easier to see whats written underneath the inputs

Im wondering if its just a 1/4inch plug from the "phones" on the front to a generic p.a sytem, or do i need to buy a drum monitor that accepts two (L&R) 1/4inch plugs coming from "main output" on the back.

I'd like to know as it would pretty save me alot of money knowing i can use a p.a which has alot of uses over a drum monitor which is pretty limited

Thanks for reading
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
Dont use the headphone output.You will loose fidelity through the 1/8" output. You actually have a few options. You can either use two channels on the mixer and EQ them equally keeping a stereo output, or you can pick up a 1/4" 2 to 1 converter and take the stereo outputs into a mono input. This will be easier as you will only need to work with one channel.

The option that will be the most expensive, but probibly the best, is to pickup a keyboard amp with stereo inputs. Roland makes some very good ones. This way you can use the amp as a monitor, and direct out from the mono output of the amp into the PA.

Unless you have a mixer that will allow you to put more drums specifically into your monitor, you will only hear as much drums as the rest of the band want in their mix. That is the advantage of having your owndedicated drum amp.
Last edited by leo4sf at Jun 18, 2011,
Keyboard amp.
Even if you did go through the PA, which you will always do...
The drums wouldn't sound loud and clear to you. Most every Sound Engineer knows that drummers rarely want themselves in the monitor mix because they can hear themselves from their kit.
With an electric kit, you will not hear yourself. This is why you need an amp just for yourself so you get your drums as loud as you want in the monitor. Only drums would come through the keyboard amp.
From the keyboard amp you would go out of a stereo output on the keyboard amp to the mixer. Or, you could use the Auxillary outs on your drum machine for the keyboard amp and the main outs for the PA.
I'm a Sound Engineer, I've personally never worked with an electric kit but I know what to do in the situation.
..I was watching my death.
Thanks for the replies guys, really in depth and answer a hell of a load of questions.

One problem is sooner or later i will need a p.a system and if i do buy a keyboard amp, it will certainly drain my funds (cant find many amps under £100) i know this is relatively cheap but spare cash to spend on music is far and few between.

Also im not really in a band yet and i'll be playing with my brother on bass and he has his own amp so if i did buy a p.a system it would solely be used for the drumkit until i decide we form a band and get a vocalist ect.

So far the cheapest way i've read is to buy a p.a system and use a 1/4" 2 to 1 converter from the "main output" of the electric drum module into a channel on the p.a system.

But still i'd like to hear more voices on the subject as i dont want to end up shelling out £100 on something i didnt really need.

Many thanks
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
If you don't mind a loss in sound quality, use an 1/8 to 1/4 adapter and plug that into the headphones out and connect the adaptor to you brothers bass amp with a stereo cable(if he has an aux input on his amp).

Wait for someone smarter to give a better option because ^that^ probably isnt the best.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Thats what i was thinking of doing, i'd have to get a p.a sooner or later but using that sort of system until i get one.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
Quote by JKHC
If you don't mind a loss in sound quality, use an 1/8 to 1/4 adapter and plug that into the headphones out and connect the adaptor to you brothers bass amp with a stereo cable(if he has an aux input on his amp).

Wait for someone smarter to give a better option because ^that^ probably isnt the best.

Not a great plan. A bass amp will have a preamp designed to amplify the minute signal coming from the guitar, not the larger signal coming out of a e-kit processor. Thats why you need a keyboard amp, they usually dont have preamps, or if they do they are designed to handle the conditioned signal from a keyboard (or e-kit). A PA will also not have a preamp, just a power amp.
Quote by leo4sf
Not a great plan. A bass amp will have a preamp designed to amplify the minute signal coming from the guitar, not the larger signal coming out of a e-kit processor. Thats why you need a keyboard amp, they usually dont have preamps, or if they do they are designed to handle the conditioned signal from a keyboard (or e-kit). A PA will also not have a preamp, just a power amp.

I meant to plug it into the auxiliary input which is what you plug your iPod/MP3 into......not the instrument input. That wound not be good. So its like having the amp act as a speaker(which it is) for the drums which will be acting like an MP3 player.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I think what i will do is wait for the drum kit to come, try it out on the aux port of my roland cube, if it sounds o.k ill give it a few weeks until i purchase a p.a system
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
I have an electric kit just for bedroom practice and such and I just play it through my home theater system when I'm jamming with a friend and not using headphones. Sounds way better than any kind of amp in my opinion. If its just for playing with other people in your room and you already have something like a home theater just rig it up with that. I have an acoustic kit for actual band practices and such

I have a simmons sd7pk

headphone out into a 1/4in to 1/8in adapter>AUX cable>AUX in to my Sony Bravia 1000w system. Sounds amazing.
i play drums and guitar :
Quote by leo4sf
A PA will also not have a preamp, just a power amp.

I hope you went dyslexic there...
The Mixer does not have a power amp in it(Unless it's powered.). Each individual channel on a mixer has a pre-amp. These pre-amps are designed to take as much signal and be pushed the loudest before distorting.
The power amp is completely seperate of the channels. All the channels get mixed down to one(At the mains.) and are sent out to the power amp. There's a whole lot of stuff with auxillary sends and sub outs but I'll leave that out for now.

TS, I changed my mind on my first post. Get a powered monitor rather than a keyboard amp. Many powered speakers have a mixer built into as well. It's usually only a one to two channel mixer and should not be used in a stage situation(One monitor cannot cover any gigs, trust me on that one. It could but it'd be shitty.).

You'd be much better off with the powered monitor in the long run as you can use it for your PA when you get it.
If you're looking for a decent PA be ready to invest at least 600 dollars. That is providing you are buying almost everything used.
Quote by timbit2006
I hope you went dyslexic there...
The Mixer does not have a power amp in it(Unless it's powered.). Each individual channel on a mixer has a pre-amp. These pre-amps are designed to take as much signal and be pushed the loudest before distorting.
The power amp is completely seperate of the channels. All the channels get mixed down to one(At the mains.) and are sent out to the power amp. There's a whole lot of stuff with auxillary sends and sub outs but I'll leave that out for now.

Good call. You caught me.

My point was more along the lines that you dont need to worry about a pre-amp that will distort in the signal chain. Thanks for making my point better than I could.
I'd just go mains out into a channel or two channels, depends on how you want to pan it, and have the aux output going to a keyboard amp so the drummer can hear himself.

The only problem with this is if the PA system doesn't have 1/4 inputs on their snake, you're going to be running alot of cables.

That's how I'd run it personally.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The only problem with this is if the PA system doesn't have 1/4 inputs on their snake, you're going to be running alot of cables.

That's about the cheapest you're going to find those adapters. Those are Neutrik so they are more expensive than the cheap Chinese made pieces of crap.
I have yet to find that particular adapter under ten dollars.
With that adapter, the 1/4" cable actually stays in there untill you pull on the red tab.

I've never actually saw a snake with 1/4". They are mostly XLR as that is the most universal as far as Pro-audio goes.
I just Googled it and now I've saw a snake with 1/4" but most of them had the 1/4" jacks as returns, not channels.

TS, if you are getting a PA system be prepared to spend around 100 dollars on adapters. I'm not even joking. At first you'd only need to spend about 50 dollars and approximately 100 on cables(Discluding snake, that's in the area of 300 dollars.).