So my new 2000 Gibson Les Paul standard with the chambered body is feeding back. Not the good sweet sounding endless sustain feedback, the horrible highpitched microphonic sreeching feedback. Why is this? I thought les pauls werent supposed to do this?! Is it because the body is chambered? Or could it be the pickups arent potted? I believe they are burstbuckers and they have the chrome covers. Would a pickup change do it? Anyone have any similar problems?

Thanks
How much gain are you using?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Distance and the gain is not the issue. Even standing six feet from the amp on mid gain at stage volume it squeels like a piggy.
Try facing away from the amp if you haven't already, and see if it goes away as you move around.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
you may have a microponic p/u. do any of your other guitars do the same thing?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Nope, this is the only guitar thats ever done this which is why i am thinking the pickups are microphonic or its the pickup covers.
if it's new take the guitar back, and get one that doesn't squeil

just saw its a 2000
new pickups would probably work.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 18, 2011,
2000 LPs are weight relieved not chambered. Since it isn't new there's a posibility it doesn't have the original PUs in it to start with. Some Burstbuckers come unpotted and will feedback easier. The Ceramic PUs from Gibson are also very hot.
To start with I'd check all your ground and shielding. Then I'd remove the PUS, flip them over and see what type they are. Post back afterwards.
Moving on.....
Perhaps he meant $2000, not the year?

If it's really brand new, don't mess with it. Take it back, let them deal with it under warranty. No sense voiding the warranty or fixing it yourself if something isn't right. If it's just new to you and not under warranty, do what KenG suggested.
Nope, it is a 2000 year. If i told you how much i got the guitar for you would shit a brick, in a good way.

But i digress, im going to go home tonight and open it up. Didnt really want to, but i cant live with this microphonic crap.
OK, so it's not chambered. If it's got the original pickups, they'll be '57s, which were potted. This is probably a loose pickup cover or a wiring thing. Should be an easy fix if it is.

You can try taping down the pickups if you want to diagnose without pulling them out. Get some electrical tape and put a strip across the slugs and across the pickup rings. If it's a loose cover that should knock it down considerably. You can also pop the back cavity and mess with the wiring while it's plugged in if your ears can handle the noise. It's always better to diagnose the problem while it's happening if you can.
Quote by TheCalvinator
Nope, it is a 2000 year. If i told you how much i got the guitar for you would shit a brick, in a good way.

But i digress, im going to go home tonight and open it up. Didnt really want to, but i cant live with this microphonic crap.

could you post a couple of pics of this guitar? Full frontal, rear and headstock?
Moving on.....
If you believe it's legit post some pics!
Moving on.....
Waiting for the pictures dude!
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
Waiting for the pictures dude!

My guess is we won't be seeing any.
Moving on.....
Seems like the TS has either run away to hide or solved his problem? I still think we would've seen pics of phony!
Moving on.....