Page 1 of 2
Hey Pit, I'm underweight and have been for as long as I can remember, I've been self-concious about it for years but i've only just recently gone to the doctors to try and get help putting weight on. The doctor basically told me theres not alot I can do about it because it's down to genetics but if I wanted to try to put weight on I should start going to the gym and try to eat more. I feel like I'd be a much more confident and happy person if I could get to an average weight and not look so skinny.

Has anyone else here had the same problem? Does anyone have any tips on how to gain weight? I've heard about protein shakes before do they work?
I have the opposite problem. I'm trying to get skinnier. >_>
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Energy breakfast, pasta lunch, meat and potatoes for dinner, weightlifting regime.

There's a thread dedicated to this, you'll get more helpful stuff there.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
To get more weight, you eat more.
You eat more of the things you shouldn't.

Grade A science right there.
Eat a lot of carbs and protein, lift weights at the gym 3 times a week.

In a few years you'll be a swole motherfuker
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by guitarherolol
I weigh eight stone, sucks right :[

112 pounds

You must be damn short
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
At first, it's your genetics, so you'd have a hard time getting weight.

But weight =/= muscle

You don't have to be weighty to throw a punch
Think carefully about what you're complaining about.

Don't you feel like hitting yourself, like, right now?

I think what your doctor makes sense. Go to the gym to build up some muscles. Protein shakes, as far as I know, help you build up muscles. My friend drinks them sometimes when he's going to the gym.

I think that's your only problem. If you're looking to increase your weight with fats and stuff, I'm pretty sure that's not healthy. At least past a point.

Build your muscles, twist your genetics to your advantage, and go get a ripped ab or something.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
112 pounds

You must be damn short

I'm like 5'8 or something like that, everyone calls me bones for a reason i guess
Hey there.
At first, it's your genetics, so you'd have a hard time getting weight.

But weight =/= muscle

You don't have to be weighty to throw a punch

Anyway, eat healthy, do sports and daily exercises for muscle growth
Quote by metaldud536
He's not a good doctor if he tells you to simply try to eat more.

What would you suggest then?

Eating more and going to the gym is the perfect response.
I have the exact same problem and ive done the exact same thing. My BMI use to be 17, im 6 foot 4 and my weights shifted been 10 and a quarter and 10 stone for a few years. Was my birthday last week, bought some weights for myself cause skinny guys don't look good going to the gym. Work out, eat more?
Quote by CrunchyRoll
What would you suggest then?

Eating more and going to the gym is the perfect response.

Eating more what? Eating more fast food? Obviously not. Eating more smaller meals? Eating bigger meals?
Sure TS will probably avoid fast food but you can't be certain of every food no matter how healthy it sounds. He isn't a nutrition expert.
Quote by triface
Think carefully about what you're complaining about.

Don't you feel like hitting yourself, like, right now?

I think what your doctor makes sense. Go to the gym to build up some muscles. Protein shakes, as far as I know, help you build up muscles. My friend drinks them sometimes when he's going to the gym.

I think that's your only problem. If you're looking to increase your weight with fats and stuff, I'm pretty sure that's not healthy. At least past a point.

Build your muscles, twist your genetics to your advantage, and go get a ripped ab or something.

Please stop posting.

TS, your doctor is full of shit, theres plenty you can do about it if you're commited. You just need to eat loads, lift heavy weights and get plenty of sleep.

Read the first page of the excercise and nutrition thread, and make a post if you have any questions.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421271
◙▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
      ◂◂  ►  ▐ ▌  ◼  ▸▸

Haters gonna hate
Drinking Protein shakes won't make you gain muscle other wise everyone would drink them and look like Rambo.

Get a workout routine and a good diet and make sure you are eating enough calories to actually gain muscle.

Lifting weights without proper diet won't do you any good.

EDIT: Make sure you get those proteins in though! between 0.5-1G per Lb of bodyweight.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by metaldud536
Eating more what? Eating more fast food? Obviously not. Eating more smaller meals? Eating bigger meals?
Sure TS will probably avoid fast food but you can't be certain of every food no matter how healthy it sounds. He isn't a nutrition expert.

Yeah actually you can be certain....

You don't need a PhD in nutrition to understand a nutrition label.

I don't understand why you came in here looking for an argument against a medical professional who gave very good advice. You can't win this one.

Quote by _me_
Please stop posting.

TS, your doctor is full of shit, theres plenty you can do about it if you're commited. You just need to eat loads, lift heavy weights and get plenty of sleep.

Read the first page of the excercise and nutrition thread, and make a post if you have any questions.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421271

That is exactly what the doctor said dipsh!t.
Last edited by CrunchyRoll at Jun 18, 2011,
Read a shitload of websites on how to lose weight, then do the complete opposite of what they say.
Quote by CrunchyRoll

That is exactly what the doctor said dipsh!t.

I was refering to the "theres not much you can do about it, its in your genetics" part.
◙▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
      ◂◂  ►  ▐ ▌  ◼  ▸▸

Haters gonna hate
What a load of bull, Get a new doctor. Unless there is something wrong with you medically it is totally possible to get bigger.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

That should get you started, Its tried and true.

Apart from that I would suggest eating ALOT of whole food, and start drinking half a gallon of milk a day working up to a gallon over time.
Mind you this is not a quick fix and it wont happen overnight. But stick with it and youll start seeing results in 3-4 months time. LIFT+FOOD+REST < thats all you need believe me
I suggest looking over the Exercise and nutrition thread, these type of questions always pop up and there knowledgeable people there that are more than willing to help.

Cheers,

I went from weighing 48kg to 70 in a year and a half, just following the program.
Good luck bro, I know how awful it feels being small and weak. But you dont have to stay that way
Take olanzapine or some kind of antipsychotic. Most of them make you put on a huge amount of weight.
In my last year of high school I was 5"10 140lbs. I'm now 5"11 180lbs. You will "fill out" don't worry.
Quote by guitarherolol
I weigh eight stone, sucks right :[

To help put this in context, average weight for a standard guy is about 10-11 stone.

Whilst protein shakes will help, I'd look into an all in one which provides both protein and carbohydrates, and preferably creatine. Change your diet, you want to be eating 4 meals a day, that doesn't mean eating more, just spreading it out better.
Have a fibre/carbs breakfast (roughly 9am), preferably either porridge, wheatabix or another wheat based breakfast. Have a pasta or sandwhich based lunch ( rough 12-1pm), preferably with a meat such as chicken. Main meal (6pm) should be a meat, carbs and veg basically, and lastly another light meal similar to another lunch in the late evening (9-10pm).
This kind of diet is used by a lot of athletes, as it helps put on wight, but not fat

I would also start some kind of light exercise regime too, never more than 2 days in a row, you need time for your body to recover and to grow, one if the biggest mistakes people make is to not allow the body any time to actually grow, so they get much slower results.
Thanks for all the advice guys, it's helped alot I'm going to start working out and keep count of what I eat in a day, count the calories and go from there.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
Yeah actually you can be certain....

You don't need a PhD in nutrition to understand a nutrition label.

I don't understand why you came in here looking for an argument against a medical professional who gave very good advice. You can't win this one.

Dude I am skinny myself and while the solution sounds simple it's not. I eat until I get full. I don't eat a full breakfast mainly because I'm never hungry in the morning. I found a good way to stimulate my appetite is too exercise more. Not just eat more and lift weights. You gotta be careful with how you go about putting on weight.
some thing i did to gain weight was to switch from things like semi skimmed milk to full fat. I swapped margarine for Butter and i started eating a lot of nuts because there crazy full of calories.

It depends on what kind of weight you want as well. If you want to get fatter then eat things with high fat and calories, if you want muscle weight your going to need lots of protein so start eating tuna, salmon, chicken and all those other animals that were too stupid not to die and become food

Also you wont gain muscle with out a good work out plan, there's plenty of stuff on the internet to help you there if you put the research time in.

Check the fitness and nutrition thread too, I'm sure those guys could tell you more.
As much shit as 4chan gets, this is so helpful: http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Simple,clear-cut and aplicable for gaining weight. I'm starting to use this program now acctually.
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
Why do people keep saying that protein shakes will make you put on weight? I drink them and there are 109 calories per 28g serving. If you drink a full tubs worth a day and lift weights 3-5 times per week you will put on weight.

Like I said if it was as easy as "Drinking a protein shake"everyone would drink them and look like Rambo.

Either go to the Nutrition thread or listen to the people who came from it.
Quote by metaldud536
Dude I am skinny myself and while the solution sounds simple it's not. I eat until I get full. I don't eat a full breakfast mainly because I'm never hungry in the morning. I found a good way to stimulate my appetite is too exercise more. Not just eat more and lift weights. You gotta be careful with how you go about putting on weight.

Ya true, you exercise more and that gives your body more demand for hunger. I honestly just eat whatever I want because I'm still young. I try to be healthy and all but I'm always gonna eat some complete crap when I totally shouldnt. That's the great thing about being young, your metabolism is lightning fast and your body is good and processing carbs and fats and proteins. When you're old your body just keeps it all because it doesnt know what to do.

If you really have some serious trouble eating more because youre just never hungry, I've seen some of those black hole products. It's the ingredient in cannabis that gives you the munchies. It's totally legal and all. I would never do it, it just sounds dumb to me and I'm doubting its effectiveness. I'm saying as a last resort, something like that could be worth a try.
TS, how old are you? Genetics may be a large part of it, specifically under the topic of metabolism. I used to be real skinny when I was a teenager & continued thru my early twenties, I used to be somewhere between 120-140 & 6ft, but around 23-24 all the beers, Jack In The Box & candy bars caught up w/ me so I gained some weight, so it'll probably happen to you as well.
Quote by guitgrinder
TS, how old are you? Genetics may be a large part of it, specifically under the topic of metabolism. I used to be real skinny when I was a teenager & continued thru my early twenties, I used to be somewhere between 120-140 & 6ft, but around 23-24 all the beers, Jack In The Box & candy bars caught up w/ me so I gained some weight, so it'll probably happen to you as well.

This, drink beer - Oh yeah and Cannabis. Im not suggesting you do anything illegal but. . well okay I am. If you don't have an apetite, Cannabis is the for sure way to go!

Grab your guitar, your xbox, a couple beers, and a handful of J's and you'll be pigging out in no time. Just don't drink too much beer, it will all go to waste.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Last edited by Vypor at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by MegadethFan18
Why do people keep saying that protein shakes will make you put on weight? I drink them and there are 109 calories per 28g serving. If you drink a full tubs worth a day and lift weights 3-5 times per week you will put on weight.

Like I said if it was as easy as "Drinking a protein shake"everyone would drink them and look like Rambo.

Either go to the Nutrition thread or listen to the people who came from it.

Don't forget there's different types of shakes. Don't go cheap like me and get a 52g protein serving per 4 scoops and 84g of sugar with 1000 calories. I like the 1000 calories, but not the 84g of sugar. That's what happens when you're broke and you want the cheapest powder and it happens to be on sale all the time lol.
Quote by guitgrinder

I'm 19 and my height is 5'9ft.

The same thing happened to my brother he's around 25 now and he's gained quite alot of weight... I suspected that it would happen to me aswell once I reach that age, I just don't want to wait around for years

Quote by Vypor
This, drink beer - Oh yeah and Cannabis. Im not suggesting you do anything illegal but. . well okay I am. If you don't have an apetite, Cannabis is the for sure way to go!

Grab your guitar, your xbox, a couple beers, and a handful of J's and you'll be pigging out in no time. Just don't drink too much beer, it will all go to waste.

I already smoke cannabis, I was worried that it would make me lose weight...
Last edited by xAbyssusx at Jun 18, 2011,
Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, and Robert Plant were all skinny as ****, and some still are, and they got tons of chicks and admirers, because being skinny in rock n' roll can make you a sex symbol.
Learn to sing and you'll make a good front man.
DeVillains!
I'm 17, 6'4" and weigh 13 and a half stone (190 lbs)

I look very thin I'm starting to go to the gym regularly now
Check out my fitness blog here
Last edited by maiden_man_666 at Jun 18, 2011,
ive never been skinny, or fat either

however ive been going to the gym 6days/week since december and have gained 13 lbs,

my brother who is the same as you, has always been very very skinny, has started joining me the last 3 weeks as he wants to buff up and gain some weight, he already noticing a little bit of strength gains.

Id recommend going with a friend, as you likely dont know what to do otherwise, or hire a personal trainer. There is a lot of info online, but technique is very important.

/edit, just if your interersted, im 20, 5foot8ish have moved from 145lbs->158

my goal was 160 by the summer, unfortunately i missed that goal, but pushed 160 to the beginning of school now, and want to hit 165 by christmas.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Jun 18, 2011,
Page 1 of 2