Friendly greetings,

this is my first post here. I know next to nothing about guitars, yet I could always string them as a kid. Despite not having touched a guitar for many years, I decided to help my friend put new strings on her first guitar. As you may have guessed from the title, things did not go according to plan.

I will do my best to explain the problem and provide pictures. From what I've gathered, the bridge of the guitar rises to a worrying angle as I tune the guitar. I think this is happening because of something wrong inside(?) the guitar, a problem which I caused by dropping it and resulting in a large spring popping out. I can't remember which way the spring sat originally, but I shall provide photos in hopes of any advice.

Another problem is that the nut is loose and falls out slightly over the side of the neck. While this doesn't seem to pose much of a problem for some strings, the first string (thickest) falls out a little over the neck, just like the nut.

I hope it doesn't seem too rude of me to make this my first post without any contribution of my own. I really do need any help though, and will seriously appreciate any given. Below are the best shots I could take:

First, the bridge issue. As you can see, it sits flat to the body. It is like this when the strings are tuned so low that they are loose and flimsy.

Below is when the strings are tuned tight and it elevates. I guess the strings are pulling it upwards:

Below is how the inside(?) looks, where the bridges connects in to. All the strings are tuned so low that they are extremely loose at this stage:

Now below is how it looks when I tune the strings up. As you can see, the other end of the bridge becomes thrown off slightly to the right, and this is when the bridge on the outside rises with it:

Now for the nut, which is hanging over the neck to the left:

Head stock:

I hope all the pictures aren't too much of a pain. Again, any enlightment shed from the revered would be truly excellent. Thank you!
you need more spring tension on your bridge.
try using 3 or 4 springs instead of just one, retune, and see how it looks.
were there more than 1 spring inside the cavity?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't know much about the inside of the bridge, but if you can adjust the nut so that it's back in the centre of the neck then that should fix the second problem.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
loosen the tension on the strings and move the nut over to wher it is sitting even on the fretboard. put a small amount of super glue on the bottom of the nut and press it down.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Also put the strings under the roller trees
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Do you have any buddys that know anything about guitar setups? Because your probably gonna need them to give you a hand.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You've wound the strings the wrong way around each tuning post.
Robbgnarly, there's no need to triple post, use the edit button.
TS, this is one of the friendliest, most well written and most considerate first posts I have seen.
REGGIE
how about this. everyone is trying to explain to you how to do it, but you clearly are not the best person to handle the situation now. take it to a music shop and have them restring it and put more springs inside before you do any irrevocable damage to the instrument. for the love of god just take it to a professional.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Quote by WuGuitarist
Use wood glue not super glue. If you use super glue it'll be nearly impossible to get off again should you ever need to change it.

Wood glue is for wood, not plastic nuts.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Looking at the picture of the tuners, it also looks like you don't have enough winds around the tuners, which are wound the wrong direction. Each tuner should have 2 to 3 winds on it. This will prevent the strings from slipping as you tune them. One more... on the D, G, B and e strings, lock the string strings in place by first looping the loose end of the string under the point where it enters the tuner. There are plenty of resources for this on the internet, if you didn't understand what I meant.

Lastly, never attempt to do any guitar work if you don't fully understand what you're doing. It actually made me cringe to look at those pictures. I know you meant well, but it's so easy to screw up an instrument by doing it wrong.
Quote by CemetaryGates90
how about this. everyone is trying to explain to you how to do it, but you clearly are not the best person to handle the situation now. take it to a music shop and have them restring it and put more springs inside before you do any irrevocable damage to the instrument. for the love of god just take it to a professional.

THANK YOU!!! This is the best advice so far.
Pretty much everyone has hit the nail on the head. You need more springs (I find it hard to believe there was only one in there to start with) and you need to wind the strings the right way around the posts and under the rollers.

And I hate to be the dick to say this, but if you don't know what you're doing as far as stringing a guitar goes, you shouldn't be doing it, especially if it's not yours. That said, the guitar isn't destroyed and it's easily rectified. Well done on a good first post though, like LeakyFlask said.0
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
The reason the nut has sprung to the side, is because the strings are wound the wrong way round. Because most nuts arent glued in, it has adjusted itself so the strings are straight. Also, you need to put your strings under the string trees, to retain tuning and keep them in a straight line, down the neck.

Start again with the strings, and string them the opposite way round, and under the string trees. That should sort your nut out.

There should be more springs than that, inside the body, which counteract the string tension, and keep the trem working, did you take any out? Also, why is it running diagonally? The springs should run parallel to the cavity, and there should be 3 or 4 of them in there, to keep the bridge tension even.

Its a little irresponsible to string up someone elses guitar, when you're not sure about it yourself. Next time, look online for guides how to change strings- theres plenty around. That said, everyone makes mistakes, so don't feel too bad. Just apologise, and use the help from this thread to sort it out.
^^ +1

loosen the strings, fit another spring or two, retune, then tighten/loosen the spring claw screws until the bridge is at the angle you want (you can either have it flat to the body for no up-pull, or at a slight angle to allow for some up-pull).

Not sure about the nut, i dunno whether you'd have done that or not. If it was already like that it's not your fault.

but yeah, it's fixable, so don't worry, but if you don't know what you're doing you probably shouldn't work on other people's guitars.

EDIT: ^ ah yeah that's probably it regarding the nut.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the nut shifted to the left due to the side in wich you strung the strings. the should be coming off the right hand side of the tuning posts.
you may have strung it with thiscker strings than it had before. a usual amount of springs are three, not one..
take it to a pal who knows what hes doing.
stringing tham as a kid is a lot different from a average-pro string and set up
Take the guitar to someone who actually has the first clue of how to set up a guitar and pay him to teach your friend what to do.
Quote by smb
You've wound the strings the wrong way around each tuning post.

And the strings aren't in their respective place under the string guide trees.

Quote by LeakyFlask
Robbgnarly, there's no need to triple post, use the edit button.
TS, this is one of the friendliest, most well written and most considerate first posts I have seen.

100% agreed (with both things).

Quote by CemetaryGates90

Also, this. This is, by far, the best option.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Wow, I never expected so many replies in such a short period of time. Thank you all very much for the provided guidance. You're a helpful ol' bunch!

And yes, it was a huge mistake on my behalf. For some odd reason I felt confident before attempting the task.

For what it's worth, it might be nice for me to stick around these parts. I'm becoming increasingly interested in guitar. I play piano and create electronic music at present.

Thanks again, brothers.
Reminds me of this dude

But honnestly, for the love of god, bring it to a professional.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by jpnyc
Take the guitar to someone who actually has the first clue of how to set up a guitar and pay him to teach your friend what to do.

+1, for the love of god stop before this guitar is seriously broken
Quote by AmericanParadox
Reminds me of this dude

Oh God.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by larson8er
you need more spring tension on your bridge.
try using 3 or 4 springs instead of just one, retune, and see how it looks.

You also need to the strings under the string trees
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by AmericanParadox
Reminds me of this dude

honestly though, I bet that might have a pretty cool tone for nonstandard music like noisewave or prepared guitar...
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Add two more springs to the back...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by AmericanParadox
Reminds me of this dude

But honnestly, for the love of god, bring it to a professional.

LOLOLOL Thread Link?