Sup guys, just had some noob questions about recording guitar straight into the PC ...

I recently acquired Guitar Rig 4 and I've had a play around with it, currently I'm going straight into the PCs Line In from the guitar with 1 amp cable but when I record I have to turn everything down extremely low or the output will be limited/distorted.

I was wondering if I bought some sort of USB interface (perhaps the Guitar Rig one) would it make the guitar sound any better at all? The sound card I have right now is a Realtek HD one of some sort and I'm using an 8 string Schecter, so when I'm chugging down on the low F# it's killing everything volume wise ... wat do?

EDIT: I'm also using some ASIO4ALL thing that I don't really know how to set up >.>
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Jun 18, 2011,
The problem is you're using the "line in". You should buy an USB/Firewire interface.

The M-Audio Fast Track ones, for example, are pretty good.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Asio4all is a driver to help with your recording if your sound card and pc is shit.

You NEED to have a good sound card to record with good quality.

Anyway,

if you want to record, I'd suggest you buy a mic and just put it close to your amp to record guitar stuff
I see ... are Realtek HD sound cards shit?

Can you record into Guitar Rig 4 going through a mic? I thought it only did straight in.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
I see ... are Realtek HD sound cards shit?

Can you record into Guitar Rig 4 going through a mic? I thought it only did straight in.

Realtek HD cards are nice, but not for this kind of purpose.
For gaming and media, sure. For recording instruments directly? No way. I've struggled with that issue for years.

Either way, even recording from your amp with a mic, you should still get a nice interface and connect the mic to it.
Don't use your computer's line in.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Realtek HD cards are nice, but not for this kind of purpose.
For gaming and media, sure. For recording instruments directly? No way. I've struggled with that issue for years.

Either way, even recording from your amp with a mic, you should still get a nice interface and connect the mic to it.
Don't use your computer's line in.

Alright dude cheers for the info ... any sound cards you'd recommend?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by La Qotsa
Alright dude cheers for the info ... any sound cards you'd recommend?

Well, there are some nice sound cards for recording, but they tend to be a little expensive... That's why i suggested the USB/Firewire interface: they're cheap and effective.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Well, there are some nice sound cards for recording, but they tend to be a little expensive... That's why i suggested the USB/Firewire interface: they're cheap and effective.

Right, I get ya ...

This interface is designed for Guitar Rig ... should I get this?
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-mobile/
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
Right, I get ya ...

This interface is designed for Guitar Rig ... should I get this?
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-mobile/

That should get the job done, but if you're looking for something of higher quality, it's only a matter of how much you're willing to spend.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
You could, depends on how serious you're gonna be. As it's got the NI name on it I think it's a bit overpriced, and if you want something cheap and cheerful then maybe look at ones like this. I've got one, and use it with GR4, and it works pretty well. Nothing mind-blowing, but pretty decent indeed.
Quote by theknuckster
You could, depends on how serious you're gonna be. As it's got the NI name on it I think it's a bit overpriced, and if you want something cheap and cheerful then maybe look at ones like this. I've got one, and use it with GR4, and it works pretty well. Nothing mind-blowing, but pretty decent indeed.

Damn ... if that's all it takes then I'll just get that, how different would the sound quality on the one you linked differ from the more expensive ones?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010