ive had plenty of amps over the years and most of them valve, i was mistaken thinking that i could get a great sound at bedroom levels, but at the end of the day a tube amp needs to be played loud to get the best out of it, and i just cant do that.

i got sucked into thinking that valve was the way to go because it seemed everyone slated an amp that wasnt, but i just cant turn them up loud enough to get that 'umph' out of them.

so im getting rid of pretty much all my gear to start a fresh, ive got my options open, i play many types of rock/metal and would like suggestions from you guys as to what would sound best, just playing at home.

im not botherd if its new, used, solid state, modelling, hybrid......just as long as its not all valve and it sounds good at low volumes.

sorry for the lengthy post.

thanks guys
AxeFX II + Crate Power Block haha
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
line 6 spiders sound good for bedroom purposes, and are quite versatile with many effects.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by Panasonic3
line 6 spiders sound good for bedroom purposes, and are quite versatile with many effects.
Yeah, It's versatile alright. Sounds that range from a can of mosquitoes to a can of bees.

You could get something like an Axe FX or Pod HD and use them with headphones or a small amplifier. That way you can get the sounds of tube amps at low volumes anytime.
What about those small tube amps? I've heard good things about the Blackheart BH-5H among others.
Also, I think Bogner has a new tube amp that was designed for apartments. I'm pretty sure it's the Panama.
Quote by dlowe102
Go try a flextone 3...I just got one and love it

This is a good suggestion, the Flex tone is one of the most underrated ss/modeling amps that is made.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Pick up the Axe FX or the Eleven Rack man. You won't regret it. If you still want an AMP, pick up a Randall. I have the V2 and it maintains it's tone extremely well at low volumes. It's a behemoth.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Yeah, It's versatile alright. Sounds that range from a can of mosquitoes to a can of bees.

You could get something like an Axe FX or Pod HD and use them with headphones or a small amplifier. That way you can get the sounds of tube amps at low volumes anytime.

So he shouldn't get a Spider, but should get a pod??? All the tones in a POD are in a Spider IV. I don't understand. Why is one Line 6 product not okay, and another that is built with the same circuits okay?
Quote by jesslindy
So he shouldn't get a Spider, but should get a pod??? All the tones in a POD are in a Spider IV. I don't understand. Why is one Line 6 product not okay, and another that is built with the same circuits okay?

No.
The spider is a low line shit amp, made as cheaply as possible disregarding sound quality.
The POD is actually a decent product. It sounds good enough.
How is one chevy a crap car, and a Corvette a great car?
thanks for the replys guys.

looking at the flextone III it seems they're not made anymore?

ive been on ebay and have found some for around £200, is this a fair price?

they appear to be the 212 model and not the 112.
randall r2 or t2 amps are amazing they are hybrid and maintain tones well at any volume
randall g3 100 through 300 are good amps as well
but thats if you want an amp

you could also go with amplitube, peavey revalver, or guitar rig 4 for your computer all u would need is an interface

but like many are saying the axe fx is the way to go
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
sounds like a diecent price in your area, and yes they made a 1x12 and a 2x12 combo. ether will be fine for you.

And the flextone uses the Vetta modeling which is much better than spider modeling. It just doesnt have as many options as the vetta.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 18, 2011,
does anyone know if the flextone III's headphone output is any good?

if so i can get rid of my Boss ME-70.
the headphone out is diecent. It also has a direct out (xlr) that you can use to record also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by darkwolf291
No.
The spider is a low line shit amp, made as cheaply as possible disregarding sound quality.

Because a regular Chevy and a Corvette are built different. A PODHD/X3/XT and a Spider IV are not. The algorithims and hardware processor are the SAME. Are you saying that this sound is now different becuase it's coming out of a Spider IV than a POD HD/X3/XT?
I'm honestly asking in a way that I would like to be informed. Not as a smartass.

Note: I am speaking specifically about the Spider 4. If you handed me a Spider 3, I would have sold it to buy something useful.
they aren't the same....

just because some of the models are similar doesn't mean they sound the same. there is different stuff going on inside each unit.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by jesslindy
Because a regular Chevy and a Corvette are built different. A PODHD/X3/XT and a Spider IV are not. The algorithims and hardware processor are the SAME. Are you saying that this sound is now different becuase it's coming out of a Spider IV than a POD HD/X3/XT?
I'm honestly asking in a way that I would like to be informed. Not as a smartass.

Note: I am speaking specifically about the Spider 4. If you handed me a Spider 3, I would have sold it to buy something useful.

They're definitely not the same. Whats the lowest price you can get a new Spider 4 for? $100. a new pod hd? $300. So you're telling me they're charging at least 3 times more for something thats the same except speakerless? No, now I suggest you go try both of them out so you can realize the difference. Class dismissed
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Panasonic3

Man...you've been here since 2005 and you haven't caught on yet?

TS! Avoid the Spider.

If you don't want valves, but you want high end gear, look at the Axe FX. Amazing amp...computer...thing.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
i've been able to get some decent tones out of a couple friends spider amps. They are by no means good, but do the job for bedroom practice. If you are planning on recording with the same rig i would say steer away from the spider amps for sure. The POD X3 is the only pod i've had extended time with and it is pretty nice, is it axe fx level? No, but it creates some nice tones if you spend the time with it. If you have the money go for an axe fx though. Ridiculously good.
Quote by jesslindy

Ok. Im gonna address each point you make one at a time.
1. The PODS and Spiders are built the same....On PCBs and machine soldered onto the boards. Other than that, they're different circuits. They sound worlds apart. The spider sounds pretty meh, and the Pods are good.
2. IDK about the algorithims, but they sound worlds apart. They use some of the same models, but the Pod sounds better.
3. Im not bringing what the sound's coming out of into it. The Pods have a better quality sound.
tube amps can sound fine at low volume. certainly no different than SS amps sound at whisper type levels.

tubes aren't the problem for you, volume is.

SS or tube, amps in general sound thin at low volumes.

if you don't turn up ANY amp it's not going to sound full.

good luck, but i have no problem with 50 watts, 18 watts or 5 watts sounding good at low volume.

i just don't expect them to be able to sound the same at whisper volumes.

get a snax efx and see if it sounds full at low volume, it won't but don't listen to me.

volume is a component of tone, without it, tone suffers regardless of what amp/effect you are using.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by rock rocks
thanks for the replys guys.

looking at the flextone III it seems they're not made anymore?

ive been on ebay and have found some for around £200, is this a fair price?

they appear to be the 212 model and not the 112.

yea that is a good price....They are based off of the vetta and were priced 800.00-900.00 new
They are very good amps and have a "real" amp feel to them
a tube amp cant sound good at bedroom whisper volume .. of course everyone define bedroom volume deffirently .

T.S im with you on that .. as much as i would love a tube amp .. every tube amp ive had couldnt be crank enough to sound good . below a certain level , its only the tube hissing or fizz that you hear .

if your playing with heapdhone . like me .. you have to make sure the comapny took time to make a great speaker simulation in order for the heapdhone out to sound great .

You could have a 500 $ unit .. if the speaker sim suck .. the heapdhone out most probably will suck .

POD and behringer v-amp 2 sounded goo through heapdhone . Roland cube , peavey vypyr , vox valvetornix /tonelabetc.. sounded horrible IMO

the best speaker simulation ive found for headphones use.. the rocktron voodu valve online . great unit ( professionnal stuff not bedroom toys )and sound a-w-e-s-o-m-e- through headphone . + this unit will proable be use late rin a professionnal rig .

if oyu can score one for around 350 .. go for it .. i paid mine 225 $ im laughing .. this unit is awesome .

The ebst will be of course AXE FX II .. with cabinet impulse and everything it got .. your sure to be in business for years .

thats my next buy .

so if you have money AXE FX II is the way to go . play through studio monitors should sound awesome .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jun 28, 2011,
i don't know what your rig is now, but if it isn't a master volume, i would look into the IIRC referred to as "suck knob" which basically lowers the volume of the preamp going into the poweramp, it goes through the effects loop andcan be had for $30 on ebay, or you could build one your self. a lot of people on the splawn forum use them with great results, and if you have ever played a splawn, (non master) they sound like crap at 1 like bees in a can, once you get the up to two or three, they scream. most people are able to set the volume at three, and use the suck knob to control the volume of the amp. i will probably eventually, right now i am jus buying too much other stuff.

just thought i would throw that in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by rock rocks
...but at the end of the day a tube amp needs to be played loud to get the best out of it, and i just cant do that.

...but i just cant turn them up loud enough to get that 'umph' out of them.

How about a power attenuator? THD Hot Plate; Dr. Z Air Brake; etc.

It might solve your problem more cheaply than a complete gear exchange.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by darkwolf291
No.

This is very off topic but I'd like to correct your statement. That was a pretty bad analogy because Corvettes are pretty unreliable. They are made of cheap plastic. Try bending a part of a corvette. Bet you could dent it without much effort .

On Topic: Bugera V5/ Fender 600 etc. Problem solved
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
This is very off topic but I'd like to correct your statement. That was a pretty bad analogy because Corvettes are pretty unreliable. They are made of cheap plastic. Try bending a part of a corvette. Bet you could dent it without much effort .

On Topic: Bugera V5/ Fender 600 etc. Problem solved

you know what the hell I was getting at
The Corvette out preforms a lot of chevy's other cars.
As mentioned, get a small tube amP with a power attenuator. I'd gO for the bugera v5 because it has a hEadphone output.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Jun 28, 2011,
attenuator
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.