I'm trying to trade with a guy on craigslist, and he wants my DeVille's serial number. I wouldn't think he could do any harm with it, but would it be a bad idea to give it to him?
He probably wants to make sure of the year/model. Some years are better than others.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's not like a credit card dude.
You can give it put to as many people you want and all we'll get is the info on your amp.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Robbgnarly
He probably wants to make sure of the year/model. Some years are better than others.

that's a silly generalisation. there are good and bad amps from every batch of products they ship out regardless of the year.

likewise the serial number is barely significant to anything but he probably just wants to check it over for peace of mind or something. there's no reason not to let him, because if you don't let him he'll start to get suspicious about the fact you're not letting him see something as insignificant as a serial number.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Alright, thank you. I figured that was the case. Better safe than sorry, however. I appreciate the lesson in sarcasm as well, stykerwolf.
actually if he were trying to scam someone else he could use that serial number to try to pretend he has a real amp.

I mean odds are it's a legit question, and he's just making sure he's not being scammed. But maybe tell him the number but blank out a couple of the digits.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
actually there is a reason not to. with the serial number he can claim it was stolen and belongs to him or have someone else report it stolen. this would then involve police and if you couldn't prove whee you bought it could result in your amp being impounded and end up with the other guy. find out which digits indicate the manufacture date and only provide those.
Quote by monwobobbo
actually there is a reason not to. with the serial number he can claim it was stolen and belongs to him or have someone else report it stolen. this would then involve police and if you couldn't prove whee you bought it could result in your amp being impounded and end up with the other guy. find out which digits indicate the manufacture date and only provide those.

ah yeah, that's a good point, but surely he'd have reported the theft to the police and provided a serial number already if it really had been stolen, and it would be on their records?

otherwise they'd probably just tell him there's no evidence that it was actually stolen from him in the first place because he didn't report it when he noticed it was missing.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
ah yeah, that's a good point, but surely he'd have reported the theft to the police and provided a serial number already if it really had been stolen, and it would be on their records?

otherwise they'd probably just tell him there's no evidence that it was actually stolen from him in the first place because he didn't report it when he noticed it was missing.

often someone else reports it and says he was out of town for a few days or something along those lines. someone tried this on one of my friends a few years back but luckily he had a receipt. did take him a few days to find it. in the mean time his guitar was impounded. in the end the guy who reported it ended up saying " oops i mixed up the last 2 digits of the serial # and got off with nothing (except when my buddy caught up with him a few weeks later) not saying this happens often but it isn't wise to hand out the entire serial # for anything just in case.
That was exactly what I was worried of. Hopefully this wasn't the guy's plan, considering that I contacted him offering a trade. I have the email history and his email gave me his name, so he probably wouldn't try anything like that.
the guy would have to have proof that it was his though
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Blompcube
that's a silly generalisation. there are good and bad amps from every batch of products they ship out regardless of the year.

likewise the serial number is barely significant to anything but he probably just wants to check it over for peace of mind or something. there's no reason not to let him, because if you don't let him he'll start to get suspicious about the fact you're not letting him see something as insignificant as a serial number.

actually, it's not silly, especially for the devilles.

if i were the guy asking for the serial number, my motivations would be to find out if it is either the mexican version or the american version, which has consequences on resale value and features.

maybe he wants a mexican one because they have a bias adjuster and you won't have to modify an american one with a bias adjuster kit. or maybe he wants an american one because he wants the volume taper knob instead of the linear taper knob most mexi ones have. maybe he wants to check to see if it is one of the newer mexi ones with the log taper knob for volume.

obtaining the serial number and 'decoding' the date of manufacture would tell you all that info if you know when what features were changed; as most owners (or people on UG evidently) won't even know what you're talking about.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly

Fender amps built after 1989 serial numbers do not indicate date of manufacture, that is actually a two letter code on the "Quality Assurance" sticker that does that. This is just for general information regarding all Fender amps.
Quote by monwobobbo

another good point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I thought in America it was innocent until proven guilty? They can't legally impound a guitar with just the serial number, can they?
Quote by danleary
I thought in America it was innocent until proven guilty? They can't legally impound a guitar with just the serial number, can they?

i seriously doubt it. if dude just has the serial number and nothing else then i doubt the police would even care. have you ever tried to get them to locate a stolen vehicle? i doubt they'd waste their time on an amp.

@quintex: good point, forgot about that.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 19, 2011,
oh yeah, of course, but a lot of the times these things sorta depend on how good a bluffer the other guy is. a lot of con artists can lie more convincingly than you can tell the truth...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I highly doubt he can bluff his way around the law with only a serial number, the only way I'd see that happening is if the police were in on it too, and come on

I've never heard of concealing a serial number before until the other day, I saw someone selling a guitar on ebay who said they would not reveal the serial number to anyone except the buyer to protect them. I've also never heard of getting a guitar impounded with just the serial number, until now. I'm not saying it's impossible, it just seems extremely improbable and I'm trying to make sense of it.
Last edited by danleary at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by danleary
I highly doubt he can bluff his way around the law with only a serial number, the only way I'd see that happening is if the police were in on it too, and come on

I've never heard of concealing a serial number before until the other day, I saw someone selling a guitar on ebay who said they would not reveal the serial number to anyone except the buyer to protect them. I've also never heard of getting a guitar impounded with just the serial number, until now. I'm not saying it's impossible, it just seems extremely improbable and I'm trying to make sense of it.

what would you need, a receipt of some sort. if one guy has one from an out of town mom and pop store and you have nothing then you have to prove it's not stolen. scamming is often done by shaddy types who know how the law works and how to get around it. and yes if an item is in dispute then at least in these parts the police will impound it. of course you can't just call and say i've got a serial number but if a person you don't know has it then that does leave some doubt. my point is still don't give out more than someone needs to know. when dating guitars usually the first 4 or the last 4 numbers are all that is needed. the other thing that i didn't mention before is what if you bought the guitar used at some point(not knowing) and now the owner has tracked you down. if you have stolen merchandise it gets returned and tough shit for you. (not that i advocate holding out on stolen goods but you get what i mean). the internet is full of thieves and scam artists so you do have to use some common sense at times. not necessarily to the point of paranoia but you have to be careful.
agreed.

in fact i'd say to the point of paranoia. but that's just me.

But yeah, a lot of scam artists will know exactly what they're doing and how the law works.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if proof is needed, and paranoia is indeed hefty then why not just keep copies of the e-mails of your correspondence over the issue. i do believe that keeping a copy of the email requesting the serial number and the e-mail giving the serial number should be enough proof to protect yourself.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
if proof is needed, and paranoia is indeed hefty then why not just keep copies of the e-mails of your correspondence over the issue. i do believe that keeping a copy of the email requesting the serial number and the e-mail giving the serial number should be enough proof to protect yourself.

a good scammer would use a 3rd party not known to the intended victem. then it becomes a case of the guy who contacted you just happened to see the guitar on craigslist but "knows" his buddies got stolen in the next city over. being a good "friend" he passes the info along. the 3rd party has reported the item stolen in his city and oh look it turned up in the other city etc. guys trying this scam (and often it's not guitars) often ask for the serial number and whether you hve an original receipt (to verify whatever). if you say no then they know they can at least give it a try. it's not common but it has been tried, as i mentioned on someone i know.
Quote by monwobobbo
a good scammer would use a 3rd party not known to the intended victem. then it becomes a case of the guy who contacted you just happened to see the guitar on craigslist but "knows" his buddies got stolen in the next city over. being a good "friend" he passes the info along. the 3rd party has reported the item stolen in his city and oh look it turned up in the other city etc. guys trying this scam (and often it's not guitars) often ask for the serial number and whether you hve an original receipt (to verify whatever). if you say no then they know they can at least give it a try. it's not common but it has been tried, as i mentioned on someone i know.

sorry, but this seems a bit contrived. emails are time stamped, it is at least proof that someone asked you about it before the claim and you gave it to someone, proving you had access to the amp before someone else. that is more than enough proof to keep someone from making a claim or ownership. where is DUV anyway...

, not trying to make a personal attack, just that this is getting a bit redic and extreme. like i mentioned before, it is hard to get police to follow up on a stolen vehicle... let alone an amp.

still, if you guys are that paranoid, then by no means give it out. i mean, everyone IS out to get your... fender deville.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious

i'm not sure, I'd thought of that already, but discounted it. the scammer could (presumably) claim that he sent the email as research into his own stolen gear.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why not just send him a picture of the serial number with the non-key bits blurred out.

I'm pretty sure on Fender amps the first letter is year, second letter is month, then a series of numbers. Just blank out the numbers and you should be cool. The same applies for serial numbers on guitars.

You can't really trust anyone these days. I know that it may seem contrived but people are always out to make a quick buck.

Quote by gumbilicious
where is DUV anyway...

someone called?
Last edited by Duv at Jun 20, 2011,