I've got a Schecter Omen Extreme FR with a Floyd Rose Special Whammy Bar System. I've put Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms (10 - 52) onto it and set it to Drop B. The strings feel thick enough for this tuning to me but i'm getting an awful lot of fret buzz on every fret, especially on the lower ones. I've raised the saddle slightly to see if it's that end that's too low but it does't change. The strings are less than 2 months old and i haven't done anything else to it apart from setting the saddle level with the body in Drop B tuning.

Can anyone help me get rid of this fret buzz? Ideally i want it to be a home job and i am willing to learn but if push comes to shove i'll take it to a guitar shop.

Any help is appreciated!
Seems like the strings may be too thick and loose.

You may have to adjust the action by the nut.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by mysterion2112
since when can you raise the saddle on a floyd?

Ok, wrong terminology. Whatever the springs at the back adjust .

Quote by Woffelz
Seems like the strings may be too thick and loose.

You may have to adjust the action by the nut.

I wouldn't say they are too thick, feels about right. When i got my Dean setup i don't think they adjusted the nut.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by Afroboy267

I wouldn't say they are too thick, feels about right. When i got my Dean setup i don't think they adjusted the nut.

he meant the truss rod, loosen it to let the neck bend more(thus raising the strings off of the frets) and tighten it to make it bow less.

the spring claw is what you adjusted, dont use that to try to compensate for fret buzz, you use that to balance the floyd so that it sits parallel to the body with the tension of the strings pulling on it.

if you dont know how to set it up there is a floyd rose set up thread somewhere or if you dont want to do it yourself you can take it to a shop to have it set up.
Quote by mysterion2112
he meant the truss rod, loosen it to let the neck bend more(thus raising the strings off of the frets) and tighten it to make it bow less.

the spring claw is what you adjusted, dont use that to try to compensate for fret buzz, you use that to balance the floyd so that it sits parallel to the body with the tension of the strings pulling on it.

if you dont know how to set it up there is a floyd rose set up thread somewhere or if you dont want to do it yourself you can take it to a shop to have it set up.

Thats interesting, haven't heard of adjusting the truss rod to fix fret buzz. Thanks alot!

Also i'll check out the thread, i just through mine might be different as it's a Special Edition Floyd Rose.
Maybe, this might seem to be too simplistic, but I suggest you press down harder. This should make the buzz go away.

ron666
Quote by Afroboy267
i just through mine might be different as it's a Special Edition Floyd Rose.

The only thing special about that Floyd is it's licensed (which is to say it's not special at all), and uses zinc alloy for the saddles instead of steel in the OFR, zinc alloy in the sustain block instead of brass in the OFR, and it's made in Korea instead of Germany for the OFR. Sorry to potentially dash any hopes you may have had about it.

I'm betting that the truss rod needs adjustment, you've gone to drop B and the guitar most likely is/was set up for Standard, so the lower tension on the neck is most likely causing your problems. Check the neck for relief (there's a guide here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241).

If relief isn't the issue you can lift the action by adjusting the pivot screws, screw them out to raise the action, and in to drop it. Remember to unlock the nut before you adjust itand relieve some string tension. You could also shim the saddle (to raise just the buzzing string), you'd need some saddle shims http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=25 or if you need to shim the locking nut, you'll need some of these...
http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=24

Once you stop it from buzzing you should also recheck (and fix if needed) intonation.