I need something really clever to say to people when they say to me "do you really need another guitar?" any ideas?
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
I deal with this all the time with my hiking friends. All I say is that, their hobby is hiking mine is guitar, they spend lots of money on that and I don't complain so what gives them the right to call me out when I put money in to music.
Divider (Prog/Ambient Metal)

Guitars:
LTD TE-202
Schecter Sunset Extreme
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Crunch Lab & LiquiFire
Tanglewood Acoustic
Epiphone Acoustic (The Junker)
when people ask me why the **** i have 6 guitars, i say its because you need backup guitars and guitars in different tunings. people who ask such questions wont understand any other reason such as sound and playability anyways
Ask what their hobbies are and remind them that you don't question their hobbies.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
"Do you really need another guitar?"

"What the **** has it got to do with you?"
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Say you experience orgasmic pleasure by rubbing your knob on the different guitars, and ONLY the variety is what keeps you away from children.

They will probably never comment on it again.
"No, but what I really need is a new amp"
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

an especially good response to girls is o you really need another purse?"

Or "Another pair of shoes; really?"
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Alexander_BR
Say you experience orgasmic pleasure by rubbing your knob on the different guitars, and ONLY the variety is what keeps you away from children.

They will probably never comment on it again.

OT: I usually ask them if it's their money, and if they have any clue about guitars.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Them: "Do you really need another guitar?"
You: "Yes."

/thread
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
i explain it to them simply that each has its own feel and features and my current guitars dont have something i want
"Do you need another guitar?"

"Yes. It's like women who have multiple dildos, variety is the spice of life my friend."

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I say either "Yes" or "I need it to experience different sounds and tones".
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
whenever anyone asks me if i really need another guitar when i'm thinking of getting another one or GASing for one in particular, i bore them to death with things like specs, technical details, how it differs from anything else that i have, and stuff like that that is completely irrelevant to them, until they tell me to shut up. and then i say "well you asked..."
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Yeah lay on the technical nerding and people will shut up pretty quick. Or ask them why they think a painter needs more than paper, one brush and one color.
Ofcorse I do
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Next time they say that ask them "Do you really need another breath?"
if you don't already have a good argument, maybe you don't actually need another guitar :P
Say the specs.

Also, say guitars are like food. "Why do you eat different types of food? If you ate the same food every day, I'm sure you'll still live."
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I've been asked this by someone who owns 3 cars before and they thought it was excessive that I wanted another guitar lol...

Pretty much the answer to the question is "yes".
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by Thrillz
Next time they say that ask them "Do you really need another breath?"

Haha!

There's your answer. I'll be using it for sure.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
Quote by Levi79
Me: "I'm getting another guitar this weekend btw."
Parents: "Levi, you really don't need anymore guitars!"
Me: "Oh. Maybe I'll just go buy some cocaine with this money then."

This!

You could also say: "Did you marry the first person you dated?"
Now i'm equipped with some decent answers I guarantee NOBODY is ever going to ask me again LOL
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
Quote by mattkendell
"No, but what I really need is a new amp"

+1

Also, "**** you!" works pretty well.

EDIT: man there are a bunch of excellent responses in this thread. Kudos.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tragic Mulatto
my mum says that alot and i just tell her to go **** herself

I really hope you are joking.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
A: Guitars are like girls, there's a lot that I want to use, which reminds me, your mom is on my list of girls...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
A: Guitars are like girls, there's a lot that I want to use, which reminds me, your mom is on my list of girls...

guitars>girls
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Rich EpiWildkat
I need something really clever to say to people when they say to me "do you really need another guitar?" any ideas?

My money, my hobby, my life, my choice.

/thread

Why should you need to justify to others how you want to spend your money? Ask them if you're questioning their choice to throw money at drinks and working girls
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by kangaxxter
Them: "Do you really need another guitar?"
You: "Yes."

/thread

I'm now at the point in my life where I don't rely on anyone else for my guitar purchases. I normally go for this.

Quote by Blompcube
whenever anyone asks me if i really need another guitar when i'm thinking of getting another one or GASing for one in particular, i bore them to death with things like specs, technical details, how it differs from anything else that i have, and stuff like that that is completely irrelevant to them, until they tell me to shut up. and then i say "well you asked..."

I sometimes do this now when I can be bothered, and used it a lot when I was a kid and had to get guitars as presents and stuff.

Nowadays when my mother asks me if I have some kind of problem because I buy new stuff I say to her:

Guitars are like shoes. You don't have one pair of shoes for everything.

She seems to understand this metaphor.

EDIT: by the way, no argument will work on your girlfriend.
Last edited by Duv at Jun 19, 2011,
when they say "what do you need another guitar for"?
you tell them "... well, when the diarreah hits the fan, and you're sitting there in your bunker-ized basement, and you've got your 3-years of storable food and stockpile of firearms and ammunition, you aint gonna have one of my guitars to play, cuz the United Nations troops took away everything i have, and sent me to a FEMA Camp"
i've had this loads and i have a standard reply along the lines of "i could stand here and list reasons to justify it, like different tunings, back ups, styles of bridge etc.... but the plain truth of it is... i'm a guitarist and i like them??..." :-)

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112