Alright so I am pretty novice about the whole subject of pickups. I made this thread in order to learn and earn more knowledge on the whole thing, it would great if some of you guys to fill me in on the list of questions:

First of all, what is the difference between humbuckers and EMGs? I know they are both humbuckers and that EMGs are active but what else am I missing?

Also,
What advantages/disadvantages are there between active/passive and EMGs/humbuckers?

Can you put Humbuckers into any guitar? EMGs?

Which is better for clean and distortiion?

The initial reason i have these questions is because my guitar (Peavey PXD Tomb 1) gets a nice clean sound but if i play chords sometimes i'll get some unwanted gain.
EMGs are active pickups. Most of their product line are humbuckers (full sized). That's it. You answered you're own question
you're guitar already has humbuckers in it, so obv you can swap them out for another set of humbuckers, (emgs or otherwise)
- They are both humbuckers. A humbucker pick up is pick up that is build to cut out any humming noise through the amp. Single coil pick ups (like strat pickup) can hum a lot, which can be very annoying.

- Active picks need a battery to work, passive pick ups dont. General EMG's are better for high out put, heavy distorted tones and are the most popular pick ups for metal music. The activeness helps boost the tone and gain. But they lack a good clean tone as a result.

Passive pickups are more versatile, often not as high out put, and dont have the active boost, making them generally better for clean tones than actives. But if you shop around,a good passive pick up can be just as good for heavy music as an active.

As for the unwanted gain, thats most likely your amps clean channel breaking up.

oh, and to install active pick ups your guitar needs a space inside for the battery to go.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by gman128
you're guitar already has humbuckers in it, so obv you can swap them out for another set of humbuckers, (emgs or otherwise)

Would that be worth it? It really isn't a super guitar but I do love it. I was considering getting another guitar when I had the money until I knew i could swap them out.
Quote by 3rdPerspective
Would that be worth it? It really isn't a super guitar but I do love it. I was considering getting another guitar when I had the money until I knew i could swap them out.

tbh they wouldnt have as good an effect with your guitar as they would in a better guitar.

Can I ask what your amp is?
Quote by 3rdPerspective

If you upgrade the pickups you then have 2 sets of pickups, so if you bought another guitar in the future you'd have 3 sets and could pick which set sounded best in each guitar.

Buying a good set of pickups is always a worthwhile investment if you look at it that way
Quote by jkielq91
tbh they wouldnt have as good an effect with your guitar as they would in a better guitar.

Can I ask what your amp is?

My amp is a Peavey Triumph 60 tube combo.
The next guitar i was an Epi or Gibson dot.
Quote by 3rdPerspective
My amp is a Peavey Triumph 60 tube combo.
The next guitar i was an Epi or Gibson dot.

Ok Im not experienced with the amps at all. But the distortion on your clean tone with chords is probably the amp. Its very common.
Quote by jkielq91
Ok Im not experienced with the amps at all. But the distortion on your clean tone with chords is probably the amp. Its very common.

Not a super popular model so i didn't expect you to but thanks. I think im gonna bring my equipment to guitar center one day or some local tech and have him just look at my set-up then i can really decide. Thanks for all your input though!

If you were to make a suggestion on an amp or humbuckers though?
Quote by 3rdPerspective
Not a super popular model so i didn't expect you to but thanks. I think im gonna bring my equipment to guitar center one day or some local tech and have him just look at my set-up then i can really decide. Thanks for all your input though!

If you were to make a suggestion on an amp or humbuckers though?

what music do you play? do you gig? will you use it for bedroom practice? are you allergic to shell fish?
Quote by jkielq91
what music do you play? do you gig? will you use it for bedroom practice? are you allergic to shell fish?

Yes i gig. I usually will practice in my garage which i have spent time sound proofing.
As far as what kind of music i play that varies quite extensively. From jazz to rock to metal to punk to ska. I mean i've got the problem of playing it all. But lately you could say when i gig i play red hot chili pepper kinda stuff.
allergic to peanuts.
Quote by 3rdPerspective
Yes i gig. I usually will practice in my garage which i have spent time sound proofing.
As far as what kind of music i play that varies quite extensively. From jazz to rock to metal to punk to ska. I mean i've got the problem of playing it all. But lately you could say when i gig i play red hot chili pepper kinda stuff.
allergic to peanuts.

hmmm a super versatile amp.....

Maybe a Jet City JCA with a few pedals. I think you should ask in th guitar gear thread.
Quote by jkielq91
hmmm a super versatile amp.....

Maybe a Jet City JCA with a few pedals. I think you should ask in th guitar gear thread.

Thanks again chief!
Quote by 3rdPerspective

It really depends on what you're looking sound wise active pickups produce different dynamics.

Two of the more common EMG setups are 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck or 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck

Personally I like passive Seymour Duncans in my DK2.

For active pickups I like Duncan Blackout (I have them in my Ibanez) better than EMGs but that's personal preference
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier