Hi Guys
After much thought I have decided to buy an Epiphone Les Paul. Can anyone tell me differences between the custom and standard and if the price difference is justified? Looking on the gibson website the pickups seem to be the same. The only difference I can see is the gold hardware on the custom, which I have heard from several users the gold wears off pretty quick. Also the emblem on the head is different and a few other minor appearence differences.
The reason I ask is I can afford a standard but need to save a little longer for a custom, so is it worth the extra?
Thanks in advance
Many people say on UG say that there really is no difference, except for the fancy aesthetics of the custom, which increases it's price and that both guitars are the same, sound and playability-wise.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Many people say on UG say that there really is no difference, except for the fancy aesthetics of the custom, which increases it's price and that both guitars are the same, sound and playability-wise.

Many people can be wrong, though

At the heart of the Les Paul Custom is Great Tone Woods. While all Les Pauls share common design features, the Les Paul Custom differed from the Les Paul Standard in that it's body was solid Mahogany without a Maple cap. Epiphone's LP Custom follows that tradition by using a solid, carved Mahogany body giving it a slightly mellower tone. Like the originals, attached to the body is a solid Mahogany neck with a hand-fitted, glued-in joint for optimum neck-to-body contact and acting almost like one continuous piece of wood. The neck features a very comfortable and fast "SlimTaper(tm)" neck profile that has become the most popular profile found on Les Pauls today. The result is a tribute to Les' timeless guitar design with the sound and feel that you can only get from a real Les Paul.

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1997

If you like bursts, go for Standard.
If you like the Ebony colour, go for the Custom, I think it looks better on that guitar.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Personally, I don't find the difference justifies the price increase, but that's just me.

Just remember, the build quality on the older LP's tends to be better. I had a Epi LP Standard from '97 which played and sounded a lot better than any of the newer models I tried.