I find it really easy to make riffs and chord progressions but they always end up real sappy and boring, like something that might play in the background of a cheesy reality show moment. I am having a hard time writing something upbeat, something you can nod your head to I guess you might say.

Anyone have any tips or cool chords that you can suggest??

side note
I mostly listen to the Strokes, the Black Keys and the Arctic Monkeys so that's the kind of music I'm trying to make.

Thanks!!
Yeah, i find this problem as well. ( I am just kinda new to recording)... You should try listening to some new songs.. Thats pretty much all you can do..

For example, when I was writing my "Seventh Recording Ever!!" (on my profile) I was thinking of "Fast Car" by tracy chapmen. And thats where I got the acoustic riff idea from.

Also try not just playing the normal chords or power chords. For example, use the D bar chord shape and you will get different kinda sounds as appose to maybe the E or A Bar chord shape. Remember to use the C A G E D system as much as possible to get cool and different sounds...

Goodluck though fella
Read. The. Effing. FAQs.

Reported.
マリ「しあわっせはーあるいってこないだーからあるいってゆっくんだねーん 
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching