So a common thought is that most record labels are looking for bands that sound similar to the bands that are making them money right now. But also with their own sound. I find this concept hard to grasp. I try to make music that sound like the bands that are big right now and I think that since it's me writing the music, it'll have MY sound. But whenever I post links to my music on forums, I get bashed on for being too generic.

So I guess I have to write music that is more original? But how much originality can be tolerated before the music ventures off into something completely different and of another genre?

I'm in the process of writing a full length album and I have most of the lyrics done but I'm scared to start on the music. How can I write music that people will enjoy? Music that is not too generic? But also not to original? o.0?

What do you guys think?

Not sure if you are into this kind of music, but this is my band.
http://www.facebook.com/thelightiris
You can start by not posting it on a forum dedicated to musicians. Most musicians like us don't care for generic material... we've all heard it before, we want something new.

Show it to your friends, play shows, put it on soundcloud, and advertise it other places.
IMO you should always write what YOU want to write, not what others want. Sincerity goes a long way.
I think I know what you trying to say and this is what i think..

IMO opinion if you want your music to be "accepted" you have to take a genereic sound (lets just say something wild and crazy such as dubstep) then mix it with what you love (lets say blues?), Then you have your wild dubstep maybe with some blues guitar??

I know that, that example is nuts, but try stuff like that (just a bit more subtle). Mix stuff together and eventually you will find your own sound and style...
I write grungy stuff not that I sound like a lot of grunge bands
but I just like the sound
write whatever you want.
If every band sounded like the big band at the time there would be no new genres
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
I can't remember who it was, but it has been said that if you want to make it big and are copying what is popular and selling now, that by the time it gets to market, it will be old news and the next train will be in the station. You'll always be about a year behind.

You have to write with a sense towards being accessible - have great melodies, great arrangements, and an accessible sound - but without trying to sound like a certain band or without trying to cop a specific genre.

Let's go back to 1990 - just for kicks. The biggest things on the radio were Warrant, Poison, Winger, Def Leppard, etc. You got your band together.... had a product that could easily go toe-to-toe with anything that was being put out.... got it recorded.... got signed..... record released December 1991. The problem is that there was this other band who was doing something totally "unmarketable" at the time you were getting your band together which, overnight, became the most marketable thing in the world, rendering yours just another late train chaser. In fact, following the release of Nirvana's Nevermind, even bands like Bon Jovi and Motley Crue were having a tough time because, practically overnight, they were rendered decidedly pre-historic and irrelevant. What followed was a whole bunch of other bands, that in 1990, were also entirely unmarketable against the Ugly Kid Joes and White Lions and such, completely took over the industry - the Pearl Jams and Stone Temple Pilots, etc.

Part of that whole being lucky enough to get signed thing is having the right product at the right time and place. If Nirvana had have came out in 1986, they would have failed miserably. The band would have broken up in '88, and Kurt Kobain would still be alive and working in a music store in Seattle.

All you can do is to just do what you do and hope that it's the right thing at the right time.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Nice job trying to plug your music.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
my advice would be to write music you enjoy listening to and disregard genre. why put yourself in some little box of rules?
Ron Jarzombek is the official accepted level of originality/abstractness that is acceptable in modern music.

/Half Serious Troll

But seriously, if he can put 22 minutes of through played progressive technical metal to footage of insects, and is still accepted, I would put that as the cap of originality to still be accepted.