I notice that whenever I'm switching barred chords with the root on the 5th string to the 6th strings (and vice versa), there is always a slight gap between the chords from my fingers lifting off the strings and muting all of the strings, which doesn't sound very smooth. What do I do about this?
You practice switching between these chords more. There really isn't a magic solution for the most basic issues, just practice the chords man.
Slow down the speed of what you're doing and analyze the problem. Practice it over and over and over again. Repetition is the only key to solving these types of problems and nailing them every time. Keep working at it and you will get it.
Quote by zincabopataurio
So I need to switch the chords fast enough so that the gap between the chords is unnoticable?

This is what should be happening. Attempting to replicate this at your current level is highly inadvisable. As the other posts (and numerous other threads) have stated, practice it slowly until you can do it perfectly at a slow speed. Gradually increase the speed. Repeat as necessary.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
I can switch between the chords just fine, it's just that the second I release pressure from the frets the chord is completely muted, until I strum the next chord. It just sounds really choppy, even though though it's for a split second, and I'm wondering if this is normal.

I guess I'm not holding the previous chord long enough and switching too early. I'll work on my speed changing chords then.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by zincabopataurio
I notice that whenever I'm switching barred chords with the root on the 5th string to the 6th strings (and vice versa), there is always a slight gap between the chords from my fingers lifting off the strings and muting all of the strings, which doesn't sound very smooth. What do I do about this?

It's really not necessary to do this. You guitar won't mind if you always use 6 strings in a barred chords. 6-th string is always a dominant so the note you play will not be so bad.

In short, always play 6 strings but concentrate on the right hand to avoid playing 6-th string when you e.g. play D minor on 5-th position.

Please remember this. It's easier to correct this now then after 5 years.