Recently I've been learning sweep picking, and I've got a problem.
When I release my fingers from the strings, I sometimes pull off the string and get a much undesired sound. How do I get rid of this sound? Should I lightly palm mute it, left hand mute it, play slower? Any advice?
Lower the gain or practice with a completely clean tone and release in a sideways motion (I don't really know how to explain this motion).
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Practice it slowly (with a metronome) focus on the clarity of each note, if it everything doesn't sound clear, slow it down more. Eventually your fretting hand will learn to mute the note as you pass off of it.
For me personally, this was the hardest thing for me to nail while learning to sweep. To stop them from ringing you need to lightly mute the string you just picked with your picking hand. For me, this is my pinky. I know some use the fleshy part of their hand as well. It takes practice and it's different for everyone.

The tried and proved method of start off slow and gradually increase in speed still applies obviously.
Quote by americablanco
Lower the gain or practice with a completely clean tone and release in a sideways motion (I don't really know how to explain this motion).

Do not practice in a clean tone only unless you only plan on playing with a clean tone. If you're gonna be shredding with high gain, bite the bullet and work on it with the tone you're gonna use for your leads. Cleaning up on cleans is only a temporary solution and is contrary to the point of muting in the first place. It's harder, so you might want to slowly switch from clean to lead, but even so you really want to make sure you're able to apply the technique in any practical situation.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Practicing in clean tone is very helpful.

You won't get a good sense of your mistakes if you play on distortion.
But on clean tone, you'll hear ever single mistake you do, and can benefit from it.

(Turn off any effects, obvious hah)

Go down one at a time, up and down, up and down.
Take your time, whip out a metronome, and practice at a slow tempo for 30 minutes a day, don't go faster, or it'll ruin your sync with your left hand to right hand.

It takes years for some people to finally master sweep picking.
There's just so many different patterns, major, minor, etc.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Quote by Hail
Do not practice in a clean tone only unless you only plan on playing with a clean tone. If you're gonna be shredding with high gain, bite the bullet and work on it with the tone you're gonna use for your leads. Cleaning up on cleans is only a temporary solution and is contrary to the point of muting in the first place. It's harder, so you might want to slowly switch from clean to lead, but even so you really want to make sure you're able to apply the technique in any practical situation.

Quote by whoahesgood
Practicing in clean tone is very helpful.

You won't get a good sense of your mistakes if you play on distortion.
But on clean tone, you'll hear ever single mistake you do, and can benefit from it.

(Turn off any effects, obvious hah)

Go down one at a time, up and down, up and down.
Take your time, whip out a metronome, and practice at a slow tempo for 30 minutes a day, don't go faster, or it'll ruin your sync with your left hand to right hand.

It takes years for some people to finally master sweep picking.
There's just so many different patterns, major, minor, etc.

You're both right: gain covers iffy picking and compensates for a lack of tone while hiding dead notes and so on where clean playing doesn't show up problems with muting and controlling gain and so on.

You need to do both.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, nothing lets you now if you suck at note articulation better than playing clean.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
This might just be me, but i always thought to a trained ear one could hear mistakes better with distortion because even the slightest fuzzy sound is created by even the tiniest of mistakes right?
For that reason i almost always play with distortion. Then again, steven seagull is quite the guitar guru so his advice would be better to take than myn.
Distortion will let you know if you're clumsy or messy, but it also takes the hard work out of producing a note - under heavy distortion you can get away with inconsistent fingering and a lazy pick attack.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Palm mute as you sweep up the strings.

To further elaborate, when you are sweeping up on a 5 string sweep and you hit the bottom note on the A string, try having your palm muting the 6th string right beneath it. And then when you hit the lowest note and start moving up and hit the next note on the 4th string your palm will move up and automatically palm mute the 5th string after you leave it. So like its a combination if canceling out the noise of the last note by hitting the new one, and palm muting the old one. And eventually once you start doing that you can clean up your sweeps without having to hear open strings etc and eventually you will start to be able to play it without palm muting.
Last edited by DiminishDarknut at Jun 19, 2011,