Poll Options
View poll results: Being successful
Making Lots of Money
18 12%
Doing what you love
133 88%
Voters: 151.
Page 1 of 3
Lately I have been in alot of conflict in life, esp with my parents as in terms of being successful in life. Too me, saving up enough money, making enough to get by living in san fransisco painting, playing music, having a descent job, and having a good girl by my side, smoking some fine herbs would be being successful to me. But my parents think I should be a full time prfessinal football playgin jock, get straight A's, and go to a big expensive college to make money in a subject i wont enjoy. So what is your opinion of being successful. Explain here and hit the poll. Much love and peace guys-Caleb
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Quote by conor-figgy
Being happy where you are.

I came into this thread to say exactly this. If you're happy and have peace, that's success. Everything else is transient and fleeting.

Now, my experience with the pit suggests I'll be needing this -

Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I came into this thread to say exactly this. If you're happy and have peace, that's success. Everything else is transient and fleeting.

Now, my experience with the pit suggests I'll be needing this -

i totally agree with you brother, i have the strongest belief in world, is to forget religion, forget money, forget any of that, but to find eternal happiness by finding peace in yourself therefore finding peace in a relative communion between your soul and the actual world. Money can buy you things, but things can only bring false happiess

Quote by djentman
Money = happiness.

Please explain

Neither being happy nor having money is what indicates success. Having the feeling of success in whatever it is you are doing or have achieved is being successful.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Last edited by DonGlover at Jun 18, 2011,
I'm going to answer this seriously and not make fun of the numerous typos in the OP.

Being succesful in life is not an objectively identifiable thing. Not when it's so vague. Being successful is up the person in question. My personal idea of success is to be happy.
Quote by DonGlover
Neither being happy nor having money is what indicates success. Having the feeling of success in whatever it is you are doing or have achieved is being successful.

Feeling of success basically equals happiness in life, to some people, thats why im asking on peoples opinions of it cause others for some...rather dumb reason think its getting a shit load of money

Quote by ripdime04
Feeling of success basically equals happiness in life, to some people, thats why im asking on peoples opinions of it cause others for some...rather dumb reason think its getting a shit load of money

I disagree. What if your goal is to be miserable, and you become miserable? That is still success. You have achieved your intentions, whatever they may be. Success is fulfilling intentions.

DonGedit: It just so happens to be that many people's intentions are to be happy. But that doesn't mean success is strictly happiness.
A SIGNATURE.
Quote by DonGlover
I disagree. What if your goal is to be miserable, and you become miserable? That is still success. You have achieved your intentions, whatever they may be. Success is fulfilling intentions.

But its natural human instinct to be happy and proud of something you've accomplished, so if you accomplished being miserable, youd be most likely proud, the be happy, which would totally destroy the fact that you achieved being miserable

Flame shield [on] off - activated

for me is love....yeah corny or whatever but as long I have the love of people I care about and I am able to give love to those people I am happy,although living well while making money would be prrtty good.
Quote by ripdime04
But its natural human instinct to be happy and proud of something you've accomplished, so if you accomplished being miserable, youd be most likely proud, the be happy, which would totally destroy the fact that you achieved being miserable

Not everybody wants to be happy. Trust me.
A SIGNATURE.
Quote by strat0blaster

Flame sheild
TO question, happiness, its being happy. Sure money can make you happy. But Neing happy is loving life. if you love what youre doin, your happy. If you love whos around you your happy. therefore Love>=Happiness.
Last edited by TylerM262 at Jun 18, 2011,
My belief is that success is defined by your ability to set, achieve and surpass your personal goals, in whatever form they take.

It's the ability to see a mountain, climb over the mountain, and find another, more impressive and challenging, mountain on the other side. Then conquer that one too.

Success, to me, is an infinite journey not a state. You're successful as long as you're constantly moving forward.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Usually people need enough money to support themselves. Then they can worry about being happy. Not all people though.
Money =/= happiness. Once you're able to get the money necessary to support yourself, money is just an object (I'm not sure if that's the right vocabulary, but you get what I'm saying).
EDIT: btw success=happiness
Last edited by stratdud39 at Jun 18, 2011,
I think being successful is pretty cool.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
Quote by Shredder XXX
My belief is that success is defined by your ability to set, achieve and surpass your personal goals, in whatever form they take.

It's the ability to see a mountain, climb over the mountain, and find another, more impressive and challenging, mountain on the other side. Then conquer that one too.

Success, to me, is an infinite journey not a state. You're successful as long as you're constantly moving forward.

I agree. I've found that one will never be truly successful or feel they've achieved their limit. Say you want to write a book. You write it and your goal is complete. What now? You have plenty of life in you and plenty more you can accomplish, so you set more goals. You do this until you can't mentally or physically achieve anything anymore, or until you die.

Quote by stratdud39
Usually people need enough money to support themselves. Then they can worry about being happy. Not all people though.
Money =/= happiness. Once you're able to get the money necessary to support yourself, money is just an object (I'm not sure if that's the right vocabulary, but you get what I'm saying).

I think what you're trying to say is that money is a means to an end, not the end itself and I agree.
A SIGNATURE.
Quote by VillainousLatin
Flame shield [on] off - activated

for me is love....yeah corny or whatever but as long I have the love of people I care about and I am able to give love to those people I am happy,although living well while making money would be prrtty good.

I read this book where this guy interviewed like 10 or 15 people on their death beds. When the question was asked to them what is the most important thing in life to them. Every single one responded with the relationships they had with people.

So your answer wasn't really all that corney. Actually I think it was probably the most accurate ideal yet. A LOT of people have been extremely successful at things in life (careers, relationships,buisness) and just walked away from it to pursue something else.
Having a comfortable income (making a shit ton would be great, but not if it sacrifices personal life)
If my job isnt doing what I love, at least something tolerable and having time to do what I love on the side as a hobby.
Healthy social life- being able to hang out with friends at least once a week.

Thats all I ask for really.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
To me, a successful life would entail having a job to where I could provide for my family; another goal. And also, to me, trying to follow God. Say what you will. But that's how I try to set my standards.
I'd rather be happy and not rich than rich and unhappy. But it would be really cool to be both rich and happy. But the only way a guy like me can get rich is by winning the lottery . Making a lot of money would be great, but making enough to live comfortabley is fine.
I think I might change my answer to this -

Being a success in life is having enough love for things that make you happy to make the bad parts of life worth living through.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by StewieSwan
Wow that poll doesn't show TS's bias at all

This
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
Quote by ripdime04
Please explain

You can do the things you love and make money. Money=happiness because having a good amount of money means

-you won't live paycheck by paycheck
-it'll take laziness to fall behind on paying bills
-if your car breaks down you can fix it
-you won't starve at the end of the week
-you can get into other hobbies that require more investment
-you have more options in going to and eating at places and bringing your friends or spouse along.

You can be happy with little money but that takes a certain mentality.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Jun 18, 2011,
making lots of money doing what you love.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
this dude is hella underage.

all his threads are "i could be awesome if i felt like it"
Quote by Dansieg
this dude is hella underage.

all his threads are "i could be awesome if i felt like it"

im not understanding what your saying, and im 17 turning 18 in 8 months man

Making lots of money. I am serious about it too.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Page 1 of 3