Hey pit, I don't often ask you for advice, but when I do, its serious business.

So, I was accepted into a college called Lasell College, up in Massachusetts. I wasn't going to go there, even though it was my only accepted college, because it's 438 miles away from me, and I have no car, and I'm poor. Well, near enough poor that going there is insanely difficult. But, they gave me a 55,000 dollar scholarship, and I couldn't turn it down. I visited, did what any kid should do; and I hated it. The campus was beautiful, the staff was nice, the classes were small, but I felt so horribly uncomfortable with the idea of going there, it just hurt to think about ACTUALLY going.

Now the purpose of this thread is me asking; should I do what my heart and mind are telling me to do, and pull my application, apply for spring semester at a closer, more affordable college? Or should I go with a potential amount of profit, and venture 438 miles away from all that I know and love, and struggle to make ends meet financially?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I believe you should do what you love/ you feel in your heart. If you do something just for money, in the end you may regret neglecting your happy-ness. There are no guarantees in life anyway, in the time you have on Earth, do what you love. That's just what I believe.
I say you go for the MA college. You may have hated the idea of going there, but once you make good friends there and you know people, you may love it. Plus, that 55k scholarship is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. You may REALLY regret it if you just end up going to a cheap local school.
how does getting a $55k scholarship make that school the more pricey? because unless you planned on going home like every weekend or something from a closer school you wouldent be saving any money, since no matter what uni your at your not living at home and so expenses are the same?

im 450 miles from home at my university and its been fine. i just only go home for christmas and thanksgiving.
Go for a semester/year, if you hate it that much, transfer. I'm sure the other school will take you if you don't like the MA one.
You probably don't wanna go because it's such a drastic change of environment, and you have little connection to what's going on back home. But you should definitely go if you like what the classes you can major in, because you have the financial aid and the change of environment will probably be good for you

Oh and cause I live in MA
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
I say try the MA college. 55000$ is a lot of money, and you might actually end up really enjoying it.
It's about 46 grand a year with all the expenses added up, and I still have around 10k a year to take care of after the scholarship and other aid has taken toll.

I mean, the reason I'm having this debate with myself, is because I've always firmly believed that one shouldn't do something one was absolutely dead set against doing. This is one of those cases.

One of my logical reasonings for moving schools, would be that if most of the aid transfers over, I can go to a decent college, and go for what is essentially free. I see no sense in paying a bunch in loans if I don't absolutely have to.

EDIT:

The kicker is my major is actually a really small one there. They specialize in fashion and design, I actually found the college by complete accident

Its worth mentioning my major would be law and public affairs.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Jun 18, 2011,
The economy is awful and jobs are incredibly sparse even for very qualified people with high papers.

I always say go with your gut/instincts, but in this case it doesn't make sense to chase a degree that'll make you miserable for four years at least, then lead you into a market that is, in all likelihood, no better for jobs than it is now.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Jun 18, 2011,
But what is it about the school, or change, that makes you REALLY not want to go?
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Quote by vicarious46
But what is it about the school, or change, that makes you REALLY not want to go?

I was uncomfortable with it the moment I set foot on campus. I just, did not like it. I couldn't place it, because it made no sense. It just felt, wrong. All wrong.

Add to that the fact that securing even a part time job here is hard, and I have no car, my family rakes in at most maybe 15 grand a year, and the college is over 430 miles away and you have a recipe for misery and disaster.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
I was uncomfortable with it the moment I set foot on campus. I just, did not like it. I couldn't place it, because it made no sense. It just felt, wrong. All wrong.

Add to that the fact that securing even a part time job here is hard, and I have no car, my family rakes in at most maybe 15 grand a year, and the college is over 430 miles away and you have a recipe for misery and disaster.

Preconceived notions clouding your judgement? Are you scared to leave home and the familiarity of where you grew up? Because you're going to have to at some point anyway. Living away from home during your university years would probably make for some of the best times of your life. Try it out! Even if it's just for a year, and if you don't like it, you could always cross credit to somewhere closer to home? Chances are you'll make new friends, have some good times, and end up loving the place though.
I've never seen a smiling face that was not beautiful. ~Author Unknown
Quote by stratdud39
Dude definitely do it. Don't not go to college because you're afraid of being a little homesick the first month or whatever.

It's not that, trust me. I know I'll miss everyone, but that wasn't it. It's mostly financial reasons that I'm thinking of transferring. I'm not going from private college down to community college, **** that . I'm talking transferring down to a still good, but not horrifically expensive school.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by nishhza
Preconceived notions clouding your judgement? Are you scared to leave home and the familiarity of where you grew up? Because you're going to have to at some point anyway. Living away from home during your university years would probably make for some of the best times of your life. Try it out! Even if it's just for a year, and if you don't like it, you could always cross credit to somewhere closer to home? Chances are you'll make new friends, have some good times, and end up loving the place though.

Yes, completely this. Your thread title is deceptive.
EDIT:
Quote by valennic
It's not that, trust me. I know I'll miss everyone, but that wasn't it. It's mostly financial reasons that I'm thinking of transferring. I'm not going from private college down to community college, **** that . I'm talking transferring down to a still good, but not horrifically expensive school.

Oh
Quote by nishhza

I have brought this into consideration more times than you could possibly think. For the past few weeks I've done nothing but ask myself if it was me being a little pussbag, or if I was just being stupid. I made a rushed decision, and it just feels like a massive mistake. It's like buying a 2010 Corvette, and hating the way it handles. You're stuck with it either way, and no matter how nice it is, you'll hate it for your own reasons.

EDIT:

^Sarcastic oh?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by nishhza

Pretty much this. College is about taking chances and doing stuff you wouldn't normally do. I understand where you're coming from, I'm freaking out too about college and I live only like an hour away. Not to mention my dad's been unemployed for almost a year and my mom, who I don't live with, overdraws her bank account more and more every week.

It's gonna be a huge change and right now you may not think it feels right but if you feel as if you can benefit by getting a good education in a major you're interested in (for almost free) then take that chance
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Quote by vicarious46
Pretty much this. College is about taking chances and doing stuff you wouldn't normally do. I understand where you're coming from, I'm freaking out too about college and I live only like an hour away. Not to mention my dad's been unemployed for almost a year and my mom, who I don't live with, overdraws her bank account more and more every week.

It's gonna be a huge change and right now you may not think it feels right but if you feel as if you can benefit by getting a good education in a major you're interested in (for almost free) then take that chance

I can definitely understand that, and I was rather looking forward to doing different things, like taking care of myself for a change .

And I should draww attention back to the whole, its primarily a fashion and design school. The law program is very, very small there.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
I can definitely understand that, and I was rather looking forward to doing different things, like taking care of myself for a change .

And I should draww attention back to the whole, its primarily a fashion and design school. The law program is very, very small there.

Hmmm yeah... well the best advice I can give to you is figure what will be the best for you and talk to your family/friends/previous teachers about it to help you figure out what you're gonna do.

Good luck in your choices then
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Quote by vicarious46
Hmmm yeah... well the best advice I can give to you is figure what will be the best for you and talk to your family/friends/previous teachers about it to help you figure out what you're gonna do.

Good luck in your choices then

Thanks man

I guess I'm fairly set in moving to a different school, but I wanted outside opinions on it before I made any kind of real decision. I'm gonna be making a decision by the time I turn 18, I hadn't thought about contacting older teachers to get an opinion, I think I'll do that.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I don't see how finances are a problem considering you're getting 55 grand. I'd say you're covered in that department, but if it's a fashion and design school maybe you'd be better off going to a school that has a better law program. I also don't see the distance as a problem, whether it's 100 miles or 400 miles you're still away from home, may as well go all out.
Still another 10 grand to cover a year, and with my moms shite credit, no cosigner in sight, and me not being eligible for a loan, we have slight issues in that area.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

438 miles isn't that much when your talking about leaving for college...
But do what your heart tells ya man, if you really don't like it now, just think how much you'll hate it while you're there.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Well which school specializes in your desired major? If the school you say has a very small program, chances are some classes will get canceled leaving you with taking less classes some semesters and taking longer for you to finish your major. And you'll end up making less network connections with people who can get you a job in the field.
Quote by metaldud536
Well which school specializes in your desired major? If the school you say has a very small program, chances are some classes will get canceled leaving you with taking less classes some semesters and taking longer for you to finish your major. And you'll end up making less network connections with people who can get you a job in the field.

The only one near me that does is even MORE expensive, and they already denied me

I know of one other school near-ish me, and they're not bad, and they're half the price of this school, and have a decent law program, so I was looking in their direction.

^Ok good, I was seriously about to make that sad face

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Still another 10 grand to cover a year, and with my moms shite credit, no cosigner in sight, and me not being eligible for a loan, we have slight issues in that area.

Is there no government assistance for students where you live?
Quote by Gmp
Is there no government assistance for students where you live?

Gov't assistance already factored in my friend. That'd be why I was thinking about pulling out of this school, and applying for a spring semester in a different college.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

the only way to solve your problem is for one of us to throw a deadly weapon at you and hope we miss.
I'm in college right now and I remember when I was in your position the one thing all my teachers told me was that it doesn't matter where you go for undergrad, and they were right. As long as you get good grades, and more importantly, get experience/connections relating to what you want to do, you'll be able to get into law school. You really don't need to go to Harvard to study pre-law; make yourself stand out for things other than where you went to undergrad. Trust me, it won't be worth it sucking up $50k in debt just to say you went to a great pre-law school.
The future is no place to place your better days
I go to school about 300 miles away from home, and I think that's a comfortable distance. Not too far, not too close. 400 miles is still a good distance. So that's like a 6 hour drive or so.

That's a ton of money for a scholarship though.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.