I'm helping a friend pick out a guitar for a possible band we're starting. It's his first electric and we need something that is going to be suitable for Rock, with metal capabilities. Think Chevelle, Foo Fighters, etc.

Budget: $450-ish

Preferably New

Anything else, just ask!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just to clarify: Non-baritone, preferred.
Last edited by whatadrag at Jun 19, 2011,
Maybe something along the lines of this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-EC-256-Electric-Guitar-105328694-i1426087.gc

Obviously going used would get you a better guitar. I would try to get a hardtail/string-thru as a first instrument as Trems are a pain in the ass. LTD makes some good budget models (especially if he could stretch to 550-600 dollars) but I personally would go used.
Where's Waldo?
That one looks pretty sweet. Unfortunately, nobody around here carries ESP, and he wants to play it before he drops .5k on a guitar.
Quote by chadreed32
And being that this is UG this will get suggested.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C-1-Standard-Electric-Guitar-105791552-i1503882.gc

There seems to be some crazy addiction to these around here.

Hey man, Schecter isn't THE BEST like some people here say. But I feel like I should be an advocate for them as I own one of their mid-range models. They're pretty damn good for the price, and I just replaced the EMGs in mine with some SDs

EDIT: Yes^^^ They actually use one of the SE models. The Mike Mushok Baritone SE. It's fantastic for the price. It's up there with their lower end MIA stuff, imo.
Last edited by whatadrag at Jun 19, 2011,
Yeah my friend had a C-1 with a FR on it and I wasn't a huge fan. But It might have been cause he had no idea on how to take care of it.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by emil_sej
Doesn't Chevelle use PRS Baritone?

Yes as well as normal PRS however his budget is about a 5th of what those cost so

And to OP i mean those two bands (good btw) both use very different equipment so my only suggestiong to you is make sure whatever it is has humbuckers. And isnt a BC rich Mockingbird...
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Quote by theponz
Yes as well as normal PRS however his budget is about a 5th of what those cost so

And to OP i mean those two bands (good btw) both use very different equipment so my only suggestiong to you is make sure whatever it is has humbuckers. And isnt a BC rich Mockingbird...

Well, we're not trying to copy them by any means. He just wants a guitar in that realm of tone. Non-baritone, we don't plan to drop tune further than D Standard.
I don't know if he has a distortion pedal but a Peavey PXD Tomb 1 is pretty nice but don't rely on the clean that much, it isn't super.

I say don't expect to much on the clean because the pickups are EMG's, i preferably don't like them that much unless im cranking it through some good distortion. But i do own it Hope this helps and it is only like $400
Pete Loeffler (Chevelle) is a total PRS whore. As far as I'm aware he uses mainly Custom 22/24s and a couple of baritones. Foo Fighters use Gibsons I think. Both of those are good guitars for the kind of genre that you're looking into. If you've only got $450ish to spend give the PRS SE line a look and maybe some Epiphones. Also give ESP LTD a look, only I'd recommend the versions without active EMGs as they tend to only be good for massive amounts of distortion.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by chadreed32
I would try to get a hardtail/string-thru as a first instrument as Trems are a pain in the ass.

+1

As an Ibanez fanboy I feel obliged to point out the ubiquitous Ibanez RG models. You can find them at any guitar shop and they work well for the type of music you mentioned. There are also a ton of options in the >$400 range.
A used PRS SE Tremonti, it will give yo the sound you want and it should be in your budget used. It is a quality instument that he would be happy with years from now. If you wanted to save $ for an amp, I'd look into the Epiphone vintage G-400. They are $299 new and will play extreamly nice once setup.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate