What exactly is it's affect on tone? I know it's physical purpose is to be able to adjust string gauge without having to do any nut-work ( ), but is there any OTHER purpose?

And what are the pros/cons? A quick google search only really says "used in lots of cheap guitars", but I've also seen very expensive guitars use it.
My understanding of them is that they give open chords a tone more similar to barred chords.

they do feature on a lot of Higher end Gretsch guitars, though I havent personally tried a guitar with one
It is claimed that with a zero fret, the sound of an open string more closely approximates the sound of a fretted string as compared to the open string sound on a guitar with no zero fret. Countering this claim are musicians who feel that a bone or even synthetic nut will enhance the overall tone of the instrument regardless of the string being played open or fretted. Since tone is so subjective, the two claims are likely to continue perpetually.
Quote by Mehtabb
It is claimed that with a zero fret, the sound of an open string more closely approximates the sound of a fretted string as compared to the open string sound on a guitar with no zero fret. Countering this claim are musicians who feel that a bone or even synthetic nut will enhance the overall tone of the instrument regardless of the string being played open or fretted. Since tone is so subjective, the two claims are likely to continue perpetually.

Amen to wikipedia
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
As said, it makes the open string sound like a fretted note. There still needs to be a nut behind it, though, or something similar to guide the strings.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by andras67
Amen to wikipedia

If OP can't google thats not my problem.
I've got one of the BM guitars with a zero fret, and I haven't really noticed any negative side effects when doing bends or anything. Now, I haven't really noticed any benefits either... But there you go.
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
Fryer Treble Booster Deluxe
i have a very rare classical that was made in italy prior to WWII, it has the zero fret, and i can say that it really brings out the open notes that are a little more dead sounding on my other vintage classicals, one having a bone nut, and i think the other one might even be ivory or something.

so i would say maybe it would make more of a differene on classicals??? maybe acoustics?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/