Or possible to put 11's on my guitar that I've only used 9's and 10's on with out a set up? My guitars never been set up, and I don't want to wreck it. Should I just get it set up? A older guy at my local guitar shop (Maybe he's even the owner, he's pretty good, obviously has years of experience.) w\told me when I was going from 9's to 10's that 11's would be smarter since I play blues. When I asked him if I would need a set up, he said nope I should be fine.
You can put 11's on a guitar and not set it up for it of course. Intonation will be slighty out but just look on youtube on how to do it for your guitar. It's not hard to do
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
You do realize some of the heaviest music ever recorded was played on 8 gauge strings? The setup thing depends on the guitar you have.You give zero information about it so there is no way to know what might needs to be done.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
i put 14's on my tele without much problem just had to file the nut a little so 11's will be fine, if you have a tremelo then you might have to adjust it a little and if you have a floyd then you'll have to adjust

and as that guy said try them out but dont think thats the blues law, if you like lighter strings go for it, experiment as much as possible
Hey... Hey guys.... Watch This!
Quote by imperialfury
i put 14's on my tele without much problem just had to file the nut a little so 11's will be fine, if you have a tremelo then you might have to adjust it a little and if you have a floyd then you'll have to adjust

and as that guy said try them out but dont think thats the blues law, if you like lighter strings go for it, experiment as much as possible

Mines a tele, too. I was actually wanting to kinda get really heavy guaged strings like SRV and have it in standard.
So does anyone know if 11's or higher would be good in standard.

I figured I'll just get it a set up next week. What do set ups usually consist of? Hopefully, truss rod adjustment, Intonation adjustment and don't they sometimes file the nut a bit?
Adjust the action...maybe the truss...but thats been said....you should be fine...I went from 9's to 12's on my LP without anything other than an action change..and it was fine..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.