OK, this has now begun. This thread will be for discussions, questions and eventually, the submissions.
As stated in the last thread, this is not really a competition. This is really a chance to show off and/or get playing and composition feedback from your fellow bass forumers.

Participants:
gilly_90
bassman10101
joey-only
Bobfred75
the humanity
6stringbasshred
DosMos
Narcotics
fatgoogle
GAPendragon
bornfidelity
primusfan
Zeelod
watchingmefall
thegiaco2112
deeptubes

I'm going to make sign-ups go all the way through until the final date for submissions. That way we may get more entries and I'm not being unfair on anyone because this isn't a competition anyway

I believe Nick (the humanity) is arranging something of a collaboration for anyone who wants to join in with him. This will happen as well as a 'solo' composition from every entrant.
To give you an example of a solo entry, mine is going to be a slowly-building composition of many layers of basses for the first half, a short pause then a more rock-oriented piece with programmed drums and probably just two to four basses.
I'm expecting mine to go for about six minutes.

Rules for solo piece:
-Must be original and all your own.
-Doesn't necessarily need to be written for this purpose, but needs to be newly recorded for this purpose.
-Must be all or mostly bass (drum machines and other background instruments allowed within reason) but as many layers of bass as you want are allowed.
-Any length allowed, but please be sensible (e.g. no 30 minute silences half way through or something silly).
-Any recording equipment, amps, VSTs etc. allowed. No samples except drum machines. (I'm on the fence about sampled pianos/ keyboards etc. so if you do it, do it well and sparingly and I won't care )
-A small description of what you've used and what you've done would really help everyone else while critiquing and for learning purposes.

It's fine to post you work-in progress in the thread for ideas and pointers but please PM me your final pieces so I can reveal them all at once.

I am going to make the final date for submissions the 31st of July.* It will be 11:59pm GMT+9.5.

*This is still open to discussion.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Jun 22, 2011,
right now we have Narcotics in on my project, I'm going to want at least 2 more people willing to solo.
Again, this is going to be a gauzy techno dance kinda song, so you will want to be sounding a little effected.
Signups for Calm Crawfish:
Narcotics
gilly 90
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Jun 22, 2011,
Quote by the humanity
right now we have Narcotics in on my project, I'm going to want at least 2 more people willing to solo.
Again, this is going to be a gauzy techno dance kinda song, so you will want to be sounding a little effected.
Signups for Calm Crawfish:
Narcotics

I'd be willing, though I know little about the genre.

Quote by 6stringbasshred
I think there should be a minimum and maximum time constraints for these tracks, so that the listeners dont become bored!

I'd like to leave it up to the individual to choose the length they're comfortable with and how long they need to put across what they're trying to.
I have already said that they have to be reasonable.

Quote by thegiaco2112
sign me in gilly

done
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Cool. Can I get in on this? I really suck! Seriously, sounds like fun!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
me neither gills, me neither. it'll have a fresher sound maybe...
Quote by thegiaco2112
sign me in gilly

there goes the competition portion of the event...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I bet you guys have gotten drunk and forgotten about this.

Any chance of some entries?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Apologies, all. My laptop was stolen and had EVERYTHING on it. Vacation photos, the baby's photos, all of my music - all of everything. I just picked up another one this past tax-free weekend. Also got my iPod and cash from my wife's purse. I'm primarily pissed off about the baby photos. Some of them have been posted on websites here and there. So, I was able to retrieve them. My tune was all but done. I have 5 different basses, and they all sound different. I played through 5 different simulated rigs, each accentuating the varying tones of each respective bass. It was a complete badass cacophony. Now they're gone. EVERYTHING'S gone. But, they didn't touch my gear. I don't think they even walked into that room.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Aug 10, 2011,
Ah, man, that sucks

If you feel like sthrowing something else together in the next few days, feel free, but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

Also, Giaco I'm not sure how long I should wait before just putting them up because at the moment, I just have mine and yours. (and mine isn't very good )
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

If I have chance over the next few days I'll try and throw something together that's a few minutes long. I have loads of ideas floating about at the moment.
I want to do something. This still goin' on?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Only Giaco sent me something so I was kinda waiting for more and/or giving up.

It would be cool if people actually finished this though.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I remember the old bass wars. If you get any wind of this starting back up, I'd like to join.
well i have something written, as a matter of playing it cleanly for a recording it may be a different task

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Oh good gravy that's hilarious. XD
I know I'm a noob here, but I would be willing to take part.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
My harddrive decided to die on me at less than three months old. I'm waiting for the replacement from WD to come through and when it does I'll be able to put something together properly. it's more or less written, I'm just using a Live CD at the moment to access the internet which bypasses the broken harddrive, meaning that I can't install or save much right now. Whatever I can install and save is wiped whenever I reboot and I have a limit of about 2GB a lot of which is taken up with the things I have to install to get online. It's very frustrating.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.