Hello,

I've been playing guitar for about a year now, and as I get better, I start to wish my stuff would sound better and that I had more effects (I don't like the idea of having to cart around 8 effect pedals with my guitar) I've been looking at upgrading my Marshall MG10 amplified for something that can go a bit louder, as well as something with some effects. I've had my eye on the Roland Cube 20 for a while, but I think it's now time to seriously consider an upgrade.

I play metal / hard rock, which is why I think the Cube will be good for me as it has plenty of distortion and reverb options.

On ebay, there's a Cube 20 going for £70 (pretty much new) Would it be worth getting one to replace my MG10? I'm not too interested in anything louder than 20w really, as I'm in a very small room, which also limits the actual size of the amp.

So, should I go for the Cube 20, or is there something else I should consider?
Last edited by BigSmokeDawg at Jun 19, 2011,
I have the cube 30x which is very similar and I absolutely love it. You can get some nice tones and the built in effects are really handy. The clean channel isn't amazing on its own, but with a little bit of chorus it too sounds really nice.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
If you can try it out, I'd say do that and judge yourself if the amp is what you're looking for. I have a Cube 30X in my bedroom, and it's loud.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
The one I'm looking at is the Cube 20X. Are there any difference between the 20X and the 20XL that justify the extra £60 I'd have to pay?
I would just get a mfx unit, not a modeling amp.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Roland Cubes are amazing things for the price.
Get one.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Get a nice amp,(not a modeling amp), and get a mfx unit to go with it.
Got a 30x myself, and it's amazing.
Not too heavy to carry around, and it can still go loud and has several nice effects built in it.
First amp I bought, so I don't have much to compare it too, but I think it's great!
20x can't be much different, but I suggest you to try it out on a guitar center and cross your fingers that nothing is wrong with the amp you get over eBay.
If you want something for less than 100 then go for it, if you have a larger budget then there is better out there
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
If you like your MG10, just get a mfx unit. You get waaaaay more effects and distortions for the same price as the 20x. 10 watts is plenty loud for a small room.
try to get up to the 30x (or the 40 as it is now, i guess).

everyone saying the 20 and 30/40 are basically the same is WRONG.

Go check the specs on the roland site if you don't believe me. the 30x has actual amp models (which are pretty decent, certainly the higher gain ones) while the 20x has stompbox models, by and large, which are rubbish (and it's not like most of the pedals they're modelled on are that great either).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I ordered the Cube 20X. Get whatever amp you like and play the hell out of it. I am going to bash it around, drop it and spill beer on it while my tube amp and pedals are home and dry.
I have Cube 20X, i really like it much better than 40XL. however i got 20X for about 3 years now.. the ****ing bad thing that happened is that plastic input jack somehow fall inside the amp. well, i repair it. i opened the front of amp and get the speaker out, so i attached the input back again, but something isn't right about that plastic input. well at least it's working, but.. when i unscrew the speaker i done damage with screwdriver and that 3 short cuts above the speaker. but it's still working
The pick of destiny...