It looks like it would be very good, why not? only thing I found was the hard drive runs at 5400rpm. This is fine but 7500 would be better, it kind of surprises me they didn't make it a 75 with everything else they packed into this pc. (and this coming from a Mac user btw)
Um.....yeah....no. I wouldn't touch one of my projects with anything less than a quad or hex core desktop.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Um.....yeah....no. I wouldn't touch one of my projects with anything less than a quad or hex core desktop.

The laptop is quad-core. The specs on that are actually great for recording. But if this is dedicated for recording I, personally, would just buy a desktop because it would save you a lot of money and you can upgrade the parts later on. But if portability is a must, I would get it. At least that way you can mix on the go.
More than likely. Pretty much any computer now over the price of about £200 is powerful enough.
+1. I have never needed even a dual-core for anything I've ever done, and that includes songs upwards to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio, recording them ten at a time.

That said.... 7200 rpm is a must, IMHO. Or solid state....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks for the advice guys! its not just a recording computer. i'll be using it for 4 years in college starting in August. Although I picked a new favorite with higher specs by HP so I can only assume it would be better for recording than the samsung i posted.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/LW223UA%2523ABA#defaultAnchor

This one is still 5400 RPM though...is it that big of a deal?

All my recording is done one track at a time. guitar to interface. bass to interface. usb condensor. and drums are addictive drums. So i mean...its not like i'm recording a whole band at once
Last edited by 4seampowerchord at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by axemanchris
+1. I have never needed even a dual-core for anything I've ever done, and that includes songs upwards to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio, recording them ten at a time.

That said.... 7200 rpm is a must, IMHO. Or solid state....

CT

My sessions default with 60 tracks of 48kHz 24-bit...so maybe I'm just insane?
Quote by Brendan.Clace
My sessions default with 60 tracks of 48kHz 24-bit...so maybe I'm just insane?

Just a quick question, how come you work at 48kHz and then 'downsample' to 44.1 for CD? Do you do some DVD audio work, or is it a conscious decision based on something else?

I've heard mixed things about sample rates beyond redbook standard, particularly about downsampling algorithms and dunno what to believe...

Edit: and of course you're insane, you work with musicians
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jun 19, 2011,
Hey guys, i just realized that you can customize hp's on their website and get 7500 rpm and whatever hard drive you want and stuff like that. One thing that I did learn though is that beats audio (comes with hp laptops. i hate seeing kids wearing beats headphones) sounds better when you plug in speakers. If change the settings on the computer so that the aduio goes to my toneport and then to my monitors, will "beats audio" have any part in the sound coming out of my krks??? Hopefully not...
Last edited by 4seampowerchord at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Just a quick question, how come you work at 48kHz and then 'downsample' to 44.1 for CD? Do you do some DVD audio work, or is it a conscious decision based on something else?

I've heard mixed things about sample rates beyond redbook standard, particularly about downsampling algorithms and dunno what to believe...

Edit: and of course you're insane, you work with musicians

Dither works wonders my friend. The downsampling is unnoticeable. All of my friends work in 48 as well. When I started, I just did it, and then when I went to school I got taught that 44.1 is "the way to go" but then heard other things from other people that went to different schools. To be honest, I think a bunch of crazy old fogies got together, had a BIG disagreement, and split in half. The one's that said 44.1 and it's multiples went one way, and the ones that said 48 and it's multiples went the other way. No one could ever really tell the difference, but seeing as we are engineers and stubborn like no one else, no one was willing to admit they were wrong.
Quote by 4seampowerchord
Hey guys, i just realized that you can customize hp's on their website and get 7500 rpm and whatever hard drive you want and stuff like that. One thing that I did learn though is that beats audio (comes with hp laptops. i hate seeing kids wearing beats headphones) sounds better when you plug in speakers. If change the settings on the computer so that the aduio goes to my toneport and then to my monitors, will "beats audio" have any part in the sound coming out of my krks??? Hopefully not...

I don't believe so. My friend has one of those Beats laptop. I think it just affects the headphone out.
Quote by lextexrex
I don't believe so. My friend has one of those Beats laptop. I think it just affects the headphone out.

hmmmmm i'll try contacting hp to confirm
Quote by lextexrex
Don't forget to make sure you get your free 360.

I wish i cud haha. but I want to customize what goes into the hp, and you can't do that at Best Buy.
Quote by Brendan.Clace

so i take it you're working in pro tools or something that can actually utilize all 4 - 8 cores simultaneously?
Quote by z4twenny
so i take it you're working in pro tools or something that can actually utilize all 4 - 8 cores simultaneously?

Reaper actually. I own PT 9 as well, however it is not efficient enough processor wise for what I need it to do. Reaper on the other hand is fully 64 bit and DESTROYS PT in processor performance. The GUI is not much to speak of, but it's okay. If I could have Reaper's efficiency with Pro Tools' GUI, I would be happy, but for me, efficiency comes wayyyyy before looks. Like, for me, 48 tracks with 5 VST's on each in Reaper runs great. However, PT with that much would crawl.
^ yeah i couldnt get 48 tracks w/ 5 vst's on each track in acid without taking a little performance hit. luckily i rarely if ever have to use lots of vst's on each individual track, i can usually bus stuff together and get away with running 20-30 vst's total (not including the dreaded memory hogging vsti's).
Quote by lextexrex
That's not a best buy offer. That's Microsoft's online deal and HP.com is an authorized site that makes use of the deal. You just need to use an .edu email.

Good Catch!