I'm not sure which section to post this thread in, so I decided to post it in the pit... Anyways, my band just got a singer, and we need to amplify his vocals. I'm a guitar teacher and I don't really know much about vocal equipment. My question is, would it be possible to directly hook up a microphone to a speaker, or would I need additional equipment? For example, I was thinking of buying a Peavey PV 112:


Would that be enough if I already have a microphone?

I'm pretty sure you need an amp aswell? Or a PA system?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

You should probably go to the Musician Talk > Singing section (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83) or Guitar Gear & Assecoires (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33) to ask about specific amps.

also; it is possible, within the universe that we occupy, to amplify a mic through a guitar amp but evidently it's not what they're made for. it's probably better to run it through a PA and then to an amplifier, which is usually made for singing.
Last edited by vagelier at Jun 19, 2011,
I don't have a PA so I run my mic through a keyboard amp. It's not exactly the greatest but it does the job
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert