Epinephrine

edit: which is the same thing as adrenaline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephrine explains everything if you need to know how it happens. All the physical responses allow the body to respond to the situation better either through aggression against the stimulus or running away from it.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jun 19, 2011,
Well, when it's a serious fear like death, the fight or flight takes over and a shitload of adrenaline is released into your system. It's basically a high of sorts, which is very stimulating.
Quote by ingames

When you're under fear and stress, eg of dying, what hormones are released in your body and what's their effects?

Tears.

Oh wait no, that's just me.
epinephrine and cortisol. cortisol is the stress hormone.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Adrenaline.
It's the greatest high in the world.
I love it.
^I don't know. When you get an adrenaline rush, everything basically kicks into overdrive. Your heart beats faster, your reflexes are faster, and your senses are sharper, and your pain threshold rises some.
I guess with stuff like medicine, since you're hearts beating faster, I guess it would distribute it faster through your veins.
Surgery and stuff, I have no clue.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 19, 2011,
Well, stress hormones make you feel more energetic, that might be why some people are more focussed, and are performing better under pressure.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Just look up "the sympathetic nervous system"

That's what kicks into effect during times of "fight or flight", and regulates the release of hormones, constricting of blood vessels, etc etc. Everything you need to know will be learned by studying the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems

My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ingames
Thanks for the aid guys. I'm also wondering, if you're in a heightened state of stress, can the additional adrenaline make a treatment work better? ie in surgery, cancer treatment.

I know that it helps for ENT surgery but I'm not too sure about other parts of the body. I would guess no since adrenaline increases blood flow and that wouldn't be ideal during a surgery.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I know that it helps for ENT surgery but I'm not too sure about other parts of the body. I would guess no since adrenaline increases blood flow and that wouldn't be ideal during a surgery.

Depends on where you're talking about. Sympathetic nervous system constricts blood flow to the extremities.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Depends on where you're talking about. Sympathetic nervous system constricts blood flow to the extremities.

That's true, I forgot about that.
cat