Hey guys,

Just got myself a new guitar (a Blacktop Fender Strat infact! ) - however I still have my beginner pack amp so unfortunately I'm not getting those awesome sounds out of it that I heard in the shop; I genuinely feel sorry for the humbucker pickups on this thing.

Anyway I was playing some old school games today and put on Super Hang-On and it ended up with me being more enthralled by the music as opposed to the game itself!

I would very much like to transpose this song (I've never tried to transpose a song) and believe that doing this will aid my ear if not my playing and also provide me with a good bit of nostalgia!

Anyway; here's the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-STW1Zw6nfw&feature=related

I am at a complete loss to play this. Infact I cannot even determine what the first note is by using my guitar...

Help, anyone? Thanks.
How long have you been playing and what are your playing skills? This is an extremely fast tune. Transposing the chords and lead to another scale aren't impossible, but if you can't keep up with it, then there isn't much sense in doing it right now.
Quote by KG6_Steven
How long have you been playing and what are your playing skills? This is an extremely fast tune. Transposing the chords and lead to another scale aren't impossible, but if you can't keep up with it, then there isn't much sense in doing it right now.

I've been playing on and off since I was 10/11 (I'm now 17). I must emphasise the point "playing on and off"... I did not learn any theory at all when I was at that age despite having had private lessons for at least a year.

My new guitar is my second guitar - my first guitar came as a beginner pack with an amp (which I'm still using, regretfully) and a gig bag sort of case. It started to have serious fret buzz and it really put me off of playing.

I've recently turned my playing right around however. I've bought "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer which has helped tremendously in terms of theory.

I've been practicing endlessly since having my new guitar. I've not been playing any songs though - just practicing basics such as chord progressions, barre chords, major/minor/pentatonic scales and technique such as hammer-ons/pull offs/alternate picking/palm muting.

I've also wrote out the notes of the guitar neck up to 12 frets based on the E A D G B E tuning, been trying to memorise the fretboard (still a work in progress) but know all the C note positions up to the 12th fret.

This will definitely sound very entry level and beginner-ish to you but my playing has improved leaps and bounds within a matter of days. My finger strength has improved ten fold and can now transition into the barre chords (apart from uncomfortable positions further up the fret board) with little if any buzzing or dulled notes, along with having the strength to add bends (accurately with half step and whole step) to my notes (however, I think as a result of having an awful guitar amp they sound very bland without any sort of crunchy blues sound that I frequently hear in licks/solos)

In a nut shell I would say that my level of play is like that of an aspiring beginner. That is, I'm still a beginner but one who is looking properly into music theory and one who even if this song is too complex for I will make sure that I practice it until it is perfect.
Last edited by Harry Kershaw at Jun 19, 2011,
I love when people put great information like this for us dummies to view! Thank you very much! Long live apple!