I've only just started paying interest in les pauls and im playing on buying an Epiphone. I have £310 budget and im left handed so im looking at an epiphone les paul standard in ebony but i was wondering whats actually the difference between all the different types such as; standard, special 2, black beauty, studio and so on
And im also wondering which ones are available in lefty
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
I know that a Black Beauty has 3 humbucker pickups and a special only has one volume and one tone where as a standard has 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. Studio I don't know but I am going to guess different wood. In fact they will probably all be made out of different wood.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong.
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Custom '86 Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
the special 2 i thought had a piezo pickup for some sort of acoustic sound if you put it on...
and the studio is just i guess a cheaper version (worse wood, pickups and stuff)
Yeah i've seen the black beauty and it does look really nice, although i must admit i prefer the les paul custom in ebony out of all of them, nice black finish with gold hardware.
xxx

Quote by kwidjibo1
Yeah i've seen the black beauty and it does look really nice, although i must admit i prefer the les paul custom in ebony out of all of them, nice black finish with gold hardware.

yeah probably the only difference is that the black beauty gives you a wider sound spectrum.....

Ooh and the special II is actually not the one i thought.. the one i was talking about was the ultra..
The special II is the absolute beginner LP

CHEERS! and good luck with choosing
that makes sense. i did see the special 2 in a local guitar shop and it was half the price of the standard so obviously there must be a fair bit of difference. I probably will go for the standard to be honest, they sound good and as far as i know they are pretty decent quality. Might take the pickguard off so its all black and more modern looking.
thanks man
xxx

The special 2 is a cheap bolt on beginners guitar, everything on the guitar is cheap.
The Studio is a solid mahogany guitar with a set neck, the p/u's aren't great, but the rest of the hardware is diecent.
The Standard is a little better wood,mahogany body w/ maple cap (I believe)
It looks like the Special II, the Standard, and the Custom are all that are lefties.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
epiphone have a vast range of les pauls, all made of different woods, different pickups, tuners, bridges, different finishes, more expensive ones tend to be better quality. same for all guitar companies, for instance fenders range of strats
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
The Black Beauty doesn't always have 3 pick ups. They do make them with 2 humbuckers. Black Beauty just means it's black I'm pretty sure
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/50th-Anniversary-1960-Les-Paul-Custom-Black-Beauty.aspx
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
The studio is basically a standard that cuts out all of the fancy cosmetics but keeps the sound and playability of the standard.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Studio,s have a lower grade of wood and weaker pickupsUnless you swap some shit out yhey suck when they're cranked.Not a lot of sustain,shit like that.
The Epiphone website lists the specs of all their guitars; simply look there if you want to know which models have which features.

The only thing they don't tell you there, but which is quite obvious, is that all the guitars below the 'Standard' get inferior wood, fitting, etc. The Studio model can be an alright guitar for the money, but you're going to want to make sure you get a great deal on it; generally the Standard isn't much more expensive and often feels and sounds a bit nicer. The 'Ultra' and 'Prophecy' lines are considered to be Epiphone's best Les Paul models; if you look second hand you may find Epiphone 'Elite' or 'Elitist' Les Pauls, which are the real high-end. These were made in Japan and are, for all intents and purpsoes, exactly the same as Gibson Les Paul Standards but with a poly finish instead of nitro (poly is slightly tougher and doesn't fade/discolour as quickly; many purists argue it dampens the guitar's tone, though).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.