Still looking around to buy my first electrical.

On some guitars you have a set up of both a single coil and a humbucker which will give you both worlds and is more versatile I suppose.
But on others you have 2 humbuckers with the possibility to disable 1 coil via a switch.
Will the sound of an activated single coil on the humbucker be comparable to the sound created via a single coil pickup (provided they are from the same brand and the coils are comparable)?
Last edited by xgunterx at Jun 19, 2011,
We live in the magical world of coil tapping. Certain configurations allow you to get a single coil(ish) sound and a humbucker sound from the same pup. It does basically exactly what ur asking, but the SC sound isn't quite the same as a true SC.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
OK.
What will be the best choice or the most versatile then for a first electrical which can handle all styles (except metal) but blues to classic rock to modern alternative will be most likely.

One with H-S-S set up or one with 2 humbuckers with coil tapping?
As repairman said, a coil-split humbucker doesn't sound quite the same as a single coil. I would personally say an HSS is more versatile, since I play a lot of music that involves single coils, and only use the bridge for my more metal-ish playing. But if you played more music that is done on a humbucker, then you would want the HH coil split setup, since the single coil would be taking a back seat.

What are you trying to play, artist wise?

EDIT: changed my misuses of "coil tap" to "coil split." Thanks for pointing that out, ragingkitty.
Last edited by horser4dish at Jun 19, 2011,
Its call COIL SPLITTING recruits.

Please get it right. You split the coils so only one coil is active.

A coil tap is where you have a pickup that as an additional TAP OF WIRE, that when you tap ON THE ADDITIONAL TAP OF WIRE, the pickup is hotter.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.