Attempting to get more serious in my guitar playing, and I know my available time's about to shrink to around 2 hours.

So I was wondering how I could get the most out of my available time, would just straight learning songs be the best way? Or would splitting into say, 10 mins legato etc

I need around 20 minutes to warm up, due to having an annoying case of Reynauds

Play mostly metal (cause i'm a big stereotype), if that affects it at all, and i'm trying to improve my picking precision

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Here's a real good video about practice, a la Joe Satriani:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3WqUXQq7I

When you have set out what you really need to practice, then it's time to divide the 2 hour session into different sections. Example:
20 min warmup
30 min alternate picking (if you want to focus on that)
20 min sweep picking
20 min improvising
30 min songs or whatever you like...

Use a metronome, very helpful to measure and track speed.
Don't have the same schedule every day, otherwise you'll get tired of it after a while.
Try to always put in something you enjoy doing, for the same reason as the previous.
TAKE RESTS! Just like when you're on a gym or something, you don't train non-stop without water-pauses.

Most important: Don't worry, there are lot of people out there with the same challenges. Search UG-lessons/columns/forums for "practice schedule" and you can find many more tips about that topic!
Quote by jaytee_metal
Here's a real good video about practice, a la Joe Satriani:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3WqUXQq7I

When you have set out what you really need to practice, then it's time to divide the 2 hour session into different sections. Example:
20 min warmup
30 min alternate picking (if you want to focus on that)
20 min sweep picking
20 min improvising
30 min songs or whatever you like...

Use a metronome, very helpful to measure and track speed.
Don't have the same schedule every day, otherwise you'll get tired of it after a while.
Try to always put in something you enjoy doing, for the same reason as the previous.
TAKE RESTS! Just like when you're on a gym or something, you don't train non-stop without water-pauses.

Most important: Don't worry, there are lot of people out there with the same challenges. Search UG-lessons/columns/forums for "practice schedule" and you can find many more tips about that topic!

Ah, really helpful, thanks, Joe seems like such a nice guy

And quick question about metronoming (coinced a work there)

So I know how to do it in regards to picking, you subdivide the beats and whatnot, but how do you do it with sweeping? Is it just like, one full sweep per beat or...?
You do it the same way. Many common arpeggios that are swept are arranged as 16th note triplets, or 6 notes per beat. Same thing with 4 note patterns. It's 4 notes per beat, just as if you were going to alternate pick the notes.
Quote by jbrin0tk
You do it the same way. Many common arpeggios that are swept are arranged as 16th note triplets, or 6 notes per beat. Same thing with 4 note patterns. It's 4 notes per beat, just as if you were going to alternate pick the notes.

But wouldn't that just be one way? Doing a 5 string both ways there's 10 notes (11 if you repeat the first)
Many times there is a note hammered on to the end or pulled off from the beginning of (the high e string) a sweep to make it a 6 note pattern, or 16th note triplets. Notes in groups of 5 aren't extremely common, though they are used and do sound interesting. Sure you could sweep a 5 string arpeggio and have it be 5 notes; it's just that many of the more common ones are arranged using 6 note patterns.
Last edited by jbrin0tk at Jun 20, 2011,
Quit your dayjob, whatever that's holding you back man.
And you can't passionately play guitar if your organizing your practice times in ****ing periods like school, thats a disgrace to the guitar world.
Oh so its like practice pratice pratice *Bell DING DING DING* oKAY lets practice something else now..
METAL!
In his unique way, UltraAussie has a point.... I'm not sure how.... but I get what he's saying...
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Well since I don't actually want to play for a living, I think i'll stick with the Biology degree actually