A friend of mine offered me his old guitar for $20 because he knows I play and doesn't play it anymore. Now, he lives quite a drive away from me; not a really far distance, but enough to make it a hassle to visit him on a whim. Because of this, I haven't seen the guitar, and I wasn't planning on even looking at it because I mean, what pops into your mind when your friend offers you "his old guitar" for $20? A cheapo, no name strat copy, right? Well, the only description I have of it is that it's a Ibanez with a Floyd Rose that was Made in Japan. Now, that describes like 90% of all Ibanez guitars, so I know that I have practically no chance of identifying the model with that description. And, honestly, I wouldn't have given it another thought because that description combines my two least favorite guitar features; "Ibanez" and "Floyd Rose" (No offense meant, it's just personal preference). But it was the "Made in Japan" that piqued my interest.

Now, I know basically nothing about Ibanez except that they're a Japanese company known for their thin necked metal guitars with Floyd Roses (or Floyd Rose copies), and that I don't like thin necked metal guitars with Floyd Roses (or Floyd Rose copies), so, I don't know if a "Made in Japan" sticker on an Ibanez means anything, or if it's probably just another budget import (cause honestly, I know this guy, and it's probably not like a Jem or something else really high end). So basically, what I'm asking is would a MIJ Ibanez be worth getting, or is it just another bunk guitar that I don't need lying around?

TL,DR: How much is a MIJ Ibanez worth?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Flibo
More than $20.

Get. It.

Yeah, you probably could resell it and still make a profit. I say go for it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Flibo
More than $20.

Get. It.

ya
Worse can case scenario it has a lo trs
still worth more than 20 dollars.
Japanese Ibanez guitars are, almost without exception, higher quality instruments
Yeah, but the question is not whether it's worth more than $20, the question is if it is worth more than $20 plus a full tank of gas ($50-60) and about 3.5 hours of time to go get it.

EDIT: Also, how much would the least expensive MIJ Ibanez go for used?

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Buy it, if you don't like it you can always experiment with it. (like adding a killswitch or doing a frankenthing or whatever)
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by kangaxxter
Yeah, but the question is not whether it's worth more than $20, the question is if it is worth more than $20 plus a full tank of gas ($50-60) and about 3.5 hours of time to go get it.

I still think it's worth it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
$70 for a guitar that you are not fan of is still worth it, why? because you can resell it, you can experiment with it or maybe you'll like it and use it
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
I say do it.

Its probably a jcustom anyway, your on the internets and stuff like that only ever happens on the internetz.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
assuming he's not lying, and not just assuming it's japanese because ibanez is a japanese company:

But it. Buy it now.

As coolstoryangus says, even if it's one with a lo-trs it's worth more than that, you could always block the trem and have a pretty sweet MIJ guitar for $20.

Just look at the back of the headstock there should be a serial number there (should begin with "F" if it's japanese-made), and it might also say "Made in Japan".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
I say do it.

Its probably a jcustom anyway, your on the internets and stuff like that only ever happens on the internetz.

Quote by Dave_Mc
assuming he's not lying, and not just assuming it's japanese because ibanez is a japanese company:

I actually know this guy in real life, and I've known him for quite awhile, and I trust him. He's not a dumb guy and he's had this guitar for as long as I've know him and he stopped playing before then.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
get pics
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

ok. well, if you trust him, just ask him for the first couple of digits for the serial number. if it begins with an "F" it should be japanese.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Pac_man0123

I don't care how cheap it is, an old RG450/470 is not worth driving 3 and a half hours for.

Care to elaborate?

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I'm thinking it's something with an original Edge. They have Floyd Rose stamped on the front. Maybe an older Proline or something like that. Get him to send you a cell pick. Chances are the trem alone is worth twice the selling price and a couple tanks of gas.
Quote by Pac_man0123
People need to keep in mind that the older 4xx series guitars were also made in Japan, but with cheaper hardware.

I don't care how cheap it is, an old RG450/470 is not worth driving 3 and a half hours for.

I would still say it is, they are still really solid guitars dude.
Ask for serial number and pics. Then decide from there with the help of your best friend, UG!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Pac_man0123
People need to keep in mind that the older 4xx series guitars were also made in Japan, but with cheaper hardware.

150 dollarsish profit (taking petrol into account) certainly is though..

They are still pretty solid..