you see i have 2 bands one i play rhythm in and really love cause i feel part of something but deep in side i really wanna play lead and get some spotlight
and i have another one i play lead in and feels dodgy about me and i feel dodgy about them the bassist always says im screwing up

i really love playing lead i mean should i take it as a learning curve and move on in a few years when im better or what
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW im still in highschool and only 13
Last edited by Kaid123 at Jun 19, 2011,
Well, these sort of posts usually involve the OP already knowing what they want to do, but needing affirmation of it... Nevertheless, I reckon you should stick with the rhythm player job, and ask to cover a couple of solos in a song if you write it or something to that effect. A bass player unable to stay in time would drive me beserk.

EDIT: whoops, misread "bass says im messing up" as "bass is always messing up"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 19, 2011,
I'd express the desire to play some lead parts to the first group. There is no reason you should be forced to rhythm all the time if you have the ability to play lead parts. I can't see anyone reasonable having a problem with you playing some of the solos or lead parts. That being said though there is no reason for you to have a solo in every song or even each song to have a solo.
thanks guys useful tips and btw wuguitarist thats teh thing i havent had 1 solo
Quote by Kaid123
thanks guys useful tips and btw wuguitarist thats teh thing i havent had 1 solo

Another thing you could do is joint melodies
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
You.are.13.

Chances are when your bass player says your messing up, you prolly are. Stick with playing rhythm and take it as practice. I wouldn't worry about either band going anywhere serious so just chalk it all up to more experience.
Hey Kaid, listen to and read some tabs of Coheed and Cambria and then stick with the meaningful band. As long as you feel good about what youre doing nothing matters. Myself and the other guitarist in my band swap lead parts in most every song. This is a great way to not only share the spotlight but push eachother in a positive direction with your playing. Dont be afraid to try new and exciting things. Its not fun unless its fun!
cheers the result ill check them out thanks for the advice and u bambi
harmonize during lead parts?

And if bassist of your second band is saying hat you're screwing up, might want to look into that, he might be right. Do you have any live recordings of yourself? Watch them, anything below perfect is unacceptable

Other than that, just work on your theory, practice with metronome to become better player overall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR6bCgJUcYw

once again that video is relevant
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Taking turns doing lead seems like a good idea to me. You could also do harmonies, like you both play the same solo, just like 4 frets down from the other guy or something like that. If you practice hard/well enough, you could possibly also end up being the better lead player in the band; as long as you're not being a dick about it, skill demands respect (or at least recognition).

No offense, but if your bassist says you're screwing up you really need to work on that; these other guys who posted in your thread have good advice on that.

Take charge, but don't get full of yourself; you're only as good as you practice. If you want to get what you really want you'll have to work hard for it and make them understand.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
You guys could harmonize a solo.
Harmonizing sounds awesome.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
When a bassist says you are messing up, that means usually that you are, and usually its quite badly. Bassists tend to not say a lot unless it needs to be said. They approach the music a lot differently, and they arent in competition with you.

Do you know what you are doing? Theory can turn the tables for you really quickly, if not. When you can explain keys, chord movements, etc...then you're on equal or higher ground than most musicians your age...

Sean