I'm putting together my first guitar, and I installed the tuneomatic posts in the holes and I was told that I am supposed to have a 'ground wire' soldered to them. Did I make a mistake? If so, how do I go about removing them safely. It was an EXTREMELY snug fit requiring more force than I was really comfortable with to get them in there.
awesome. that video is very helpful. I'm curious, I looked at a few videos and I'm putting in EMG active pickups and from what I saw on the videos they are saying you DO NOT need a ground wire. So should I just leave everything alone? Am I OK?
Grounding wire needed for sure.

Sharp tools to ya!!
Last edited by dsss guitars at Jun 19, 2011,
No you do NOT need a ground wire for active EMGs.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by dsss guitars
Grounding wire needed for sure.

Sharp tools to ya!!

I can't find any info that says I do need a ground wire for the active pickups. Even EMG wiring diagrams don't show the ground wire going to the bridge.

http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/ZW_0230-0108D.pdf

Look at that link. 1st page, Bullet #4 says:

4) When installing EMG Active Pickups, DO NOT connect the bridge ground wire. This wire is usually soldered to a Volume or Tone Control casing and goes to the bridge. This wire grounds the strings and uses them and your body as a shield against hum and buzz. It also creates a shock hazard.
Quote by Absent Mind
No you do NOT need a ground wire for active EMGs.

Really???

Although I'm a pickup expert, I'm not an expert on active pickups. Do you really not need to ground your strings for active pickups? On passives it creates hum and I can't wrap my head around how it wouldn't cause the same problems in actives. I guess that is why I still don't touch active pickups...
Not taking any online orders.