Alright, I've been having this problem for a little while. There is this very loud scratchy noise that happens whenever I go to pick a note. I have noticed that it happens when I pick something. It also happens whether I'm playing slow, or playing fast. What could be causing this?? I honestly can't stand to listen to myself play for about 5 minutes.
Please help
Quote by Danielghero
Alright, I've been having this problem for a little while. There is this very loud scratchy noise that happens whenever I go to pick a note. I have noticed that it happens when I pick something. It also happens whether I'm playing slow, or playing fast. What could be causing this?? I honestly can't stand to listen to myself play for about 5 minutes.
Please help

Check that the solder points on your input jack haven't come loose.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
would that have anything to do with everytime I pick?
And I will. which part is it? lol
Is it on an acoustic or electric guitar? Is it coming from the guitar or the amp? Give us some details!
Is your guitar clean or do you have high gain or distortion on?
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Just sounds like pick noise...
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
It's on electric and acoustic. And it comes from the amp. It doesn't do it when I play on clean, only on distortion. help? :p
It's most likely pick noise, basically every time your pick touches the strings, the friction causes noise to be heard, and depending on how you angle your pick you might get a "swishy swishy swash" sound (as described by Paul Gilbert), which may be desired or not.

Try experimenting with your pick angle, try to get it as parallel to the strings as possible. Also, thicker picks tend to produce less noise. Even the material affects this. From my experience the thick tortex strings dunlop makes have the least noise.
I'm using a dunlop ultex 1.4 mm right now. So which way should i angle the pick for the least amount of noise? This is starting to make sense now.
Why not pick a few notes with your fingers and see if this noise still occurs before coming to the conclusion that it is the result of picking?
I will try that. I also thought it could be the result of my picking and fretting being out of sync. So I've been trying to fix that. The noise comes right between the time I pick, and the sound of the note. I've tried different size picks and all that, but I'm still hearing it.
If you want to listen and see if you can tell what it is, I've noticed it in Synyster Gates' playing as well. Not much, but listen to the solos and stuff in Welcome To The Family. I've also noticed that the sound is identical to the sound you get when you tremolo pick.
^It's definitely pick noise then, it's exactly what you are describing. There is really no way to completely get rid of pick noise, it's just something you are going to have to live with. You can reduce the noise though, to a point where it might not bother you as much. Try picking with the pick so that the pick is parallel with the strings, and not at an angle as it is hitting the strings. Also try using tortex picks, ultex tends to produce more pick noise from my experience.

Try experimenting with different picks, from my experience pick material and thickness greatly affect the amount of pick noise. For me, thick tortex picks have the least noise.
alright. I'll definitely be ordering some tortex picks. Did you understand what I was talking about hearing it in his playing? I just really hope it is pick noise instead of out of sync hands.
Well usually when you have two surfaces rubbing against each other there is going to be a force of friction, which means there will be noise. Either way I'm sure it's pick noise. If you want to be 100% sure post of video of this noise that you are talking about/
I might later when I have time. But would out of sync hands cause this? It actually sounds like when you hit a string that's already ringing. If that makes sense. So therefore I took the possibility of me pushing down on the string too hard (like hammer-ing on) and getting just a little noise right before I pick.
hold up. I noticed that it's my finger's fault. When playing something like |-13-12-11-10-| my fingers don't move fast enough. So I need to move my fingers away from the note faster. Any ideas on how to work on this?
Practise at a much slower tempo. going up and/or down the neck by 1 note each time (aka chromatics) takes a lot of practise to build up speed. It's not uncommon that people have trouble playing something like that at a fast tempo.
Post a video of yourself playing. I know i'm not the only one struggling to understand what "noise" you're talking about.
Post a video of what you are talking about please, because I have no idea what you are talking about anymore.

But if your fingers are out of sync, you should be practicing at a slower tempo until you get it right.
alright i'm posting a video now. sorry for the shitty half assed playing. and the sound quality. I'm really not this bad. usually haha
That wasn't that bad at all actually, it was surprisingly clean, and your tone wasn't even that bad, especially compared to 99% of guitarists with Line 6 amps.

It's definitely pick noise (I don't hear anything else). There isn't even that much pick noise actually, it doesn't bother me at all. If you're still worried about it try tortex picks.

Honestly though pick noise is something all guitarists have to live with. While I was listening to your vid I didn't even notice anything until I paid close attention to the pick noise.
I had to listen really closely to hear it in that video. And thanks about the tone. I do what I can with Line 6 haha. The thing that gets me tho is that it only does it sometimes. Idk hopefully it is just pick noise. I can get used to it if it is. But if it's something like out of sync hands, well I'll just see what happens. Thanks
yeah a video would be better, but if its just your fingers not being fast enough. despite whether you want to or not your going to have to slow it down and focus on how your fingers are moving and obviously dont pick till your finger is off and your finger is on the next note played or whatever scenario it may be.. speed isnt everything sir =)