So I own a shecter blackjack tempest, with two seymour duncan humbuckers, and a line 6 spider amp. I bought them a couple years back when i was into heavier music. I stopped playing and just started again a couple months ago. A friend has been teaching me cleaner style music, and that is definitely where i want to focus my learning. He thinks i should get a strat because I really enjoy playing his.

My question is where would i get the most benefit, keeping my schecter and buying a small tube amp (could i get a clean sound with good tone?), or selling the schecter and buying a fender MIM with texas specials and then buying a new amp later on?
I would go with selling the Schecter and buying a Fender. Mainly because with a Strat you can play a wide range of styles of music.
swap the amp. that way if you switch back again, you only need a decent distortion pedal and you have the heavier tone and the bonus of it going through a tube amp.
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
I would suggest buying a new amp now. It will considerably increase the quality of your tone, your schecter is a good guitar that can play clean stuff as well (what pickups do you have btw?)
Changing guitars and keeping the spider won't really change as much.

What's your price range?
You don't need to swap gear at all. Line 6 amps are much better at producing clean tones than they are at distortion. If you really dislike the tone save up for a tube amp with enough headroom to stay clean at whatever size gigs you might play.

And there's no reason a Strat is more versatile then a Tempest; it's really just a twangier guitar that will sound better for stuff like country and rockabilly. If you Schecter has a Duncan '59/JB set you might be better off with another '59 in the bridge than the JB. You can find a cheap used '59 wired for a coil tap and swap it in yourself.
Well if he wants to change pickups there are thousands of good alternatives, probably better than adding another 59. That depends on TS's preferences though.

TS what do you mean by a cleaner style? Any examples of tones you like?
the pickups are the '59/JB, and i have about 600, but i don't need a big amp just something for the bedroom/dorm. As for tone I used to play metal but i've grown out of that, john frusciante, and john mayer are what i'm going for. I played through a blues jr. tube on a strat, and i was just amazed. I'm going to try and play my schecter through the tube sometime soon to see what that sounds like.
Spend $150 a Fender Champ 600 and another $20 on good tubes. If you find you don't like the JB test other pickups and do a swap when you find one you like.
Quote by rhcp516
the pickups are the '59/JB, and i have about 600, but i don't need a big amp just something for the bedroom/dorm. As for tone I used to play metal but i've grown out of that, john frusciante, and john mayer are what i'm going for. I played through a blues jr. tube on a strat, and i was just amazed. I'm going to try and play my schecter through the tube sometime soon to see what that sounds like.

Get some smaller tube amp, maybe also sell the Schecter or trade it for a Strat, maybe an HSS Strat, so you can still play the heavy shizzle if you want to.
amp
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I would use the money to buy a good amp first, and see if that gives you the sound you want. For what it's worth I can get a pretty good twang from the JB in my Schecter C-1 Classic on the clean channel in my Peavey. The '59 should do a great job for cleans as well.
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
KEEP THE SHECTER, AND ALL OTHER THINGS YOU NEED FOR METAL
If you find you have to go back to metal (WHICH YOU WILL) you'll end up breaking down and buying crappy equipment with limited funds and your fender stratocasters and your i want to eat my sandwhich out of that toilet bowl-clean amps will be.. USELESS.

line 6 spider amp.
What's wrong with the clean tone on that?
Just roll your gain down or whatever, all amps have clean tones, if they don't then WTF.

You don't need to buy anything, unless your scared the Shecter will scare the old people at the retirement village were you will be playing your next gig.
METAL!
i think i will keep the schecter, as i happen to like the sound i get out of the '59 when coil tapped, and go with a small tube amp for now, and maybe in the future i will buy the strat....nothing wrong with more than one guitar, right?
Quote by Ultraussie
line 6 spider amp.
Just roll your gain down or whatever, all amps have clean tones, if they don't then WTF.

The Spider's cleans suck balls, just as all the other sounds it makes.

Quote by rhcp516
i think i will keep the schecter, as i happen to like the sound i get out of the '59 when coil tapped, and go with a small tube amp for now, and maybe in the future i will buy the strat....nothing wrong with more than one guitar, right?

Nothing wrong with any amount of guitars, dude.
Quote by Ultraussie
KEEP THE SHECTER, AND ALL OTHER THINGS YOU NEED FOR METAL
If you find you have to go back to metal (WHICH YOU WILL) you'll end up breaking down and buying crappy equipment with limited funds and your fender stratocasters and your i want to eat my sandwhich out of that toilet bowl-clean amps will be.. USELESS.

line 6 spider amp.

You don't need to buy anything, unless your scared the Shecter will scare the old people at the retirement village were you will be playing your next gig.

Is anybody else scared by this guy? He seems pretty angry.
You want me?
Well f**king well come and find me
I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches

Twitter:@iamoisinoneill
UG follows me. You should too.
amp. that guitar with those pickups, though best suited for heavy music, is more than capable of playing most any style you can imagine, so long as you know how to set-up your amp.

I would suggest looking into a decent tube amp. a tube amp, though less versatile than a modelling amp, will help your sound far more because it will be more dynamic and it will have better feel. even the best strat through your spider won't do that
any suggestions for a decent tube amp for a bedroom/dorm? i'd like to spend as little as possible but i have about 600. I've been looking at the Vox Ac4tv, Fender 600, and some other small ones.