I have a dodgy Lindo bass that I got back before I knew what to look for, and I've been wondering about trying to fix it up a bit as a practice before I build anything from scratch. At the very top the neck is about 4 cm wide, and about 5.5 cm at the bottom. With a new bridge and nut, and an extra tuner hole drilled, would it be theoretically possible to add a 5th string? I'm still deciding what to do with this particular bass, but for future build reference it would be good to know anyway.
Turning a four-string neck into a five-string neck is almost always a bad idea. It isn't just the width - though yours sounds like it is not wide enough for the conversion. Another critical factor is the fretboard radius. A four-string radius will be all wrong for a five-string.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Turning a four-string neck into a five-string neck is almost always a bad idea. It isn't just the width - though yours sounds like it is not wide enough for the conversion. Another critical factor is the fretboard radius. A four-string radius will be all wrong for a five-string.

I disagree. I never ran into any problems regarding fretboard radius with the conversion I did, the guy I sold it to didn't seem to have any issues with it either.

A 40mm nut will probably be too thin though I used a p bass neck with something like a 45mm nut and the string spacing was pretty tight. I wouldn't want to lose that extra space because the low B string is quite and take up a fair amount of nut real estate.

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm

This is the link that inspired and guided me through my conversion.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. I've Just seen a squire jazz body for sale with everything but a neck already attached. Since it needs a neck anyway if I bought that, maybe I could just replace the bridge and adjust the width of the neck space if needed. Do 5 strings have different electronics? Maybe it'd just be easier to adapt an old/cheap bass that already has 5 strings.
Last edited by GAPendragon at Jun 21, 2011,
No, the wiring in a five string would be the same as a 4 string. Some people would mention the difference in pole piece spacing on the pickups making certain louder or quieter but I never had that problem. As long as the strings are in the magnetic field of the pickup you'll get sound.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Sorry to revive such an old thread. I thought it would be preferable to making a new one for the same basic question. Does anybody know if it's possible to get a 5 string neck of 63 mm at the pocket?
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.