Ok so my very first bass was a cheap off brand P Bass that had rattly frets, a bad paint job, and a short scale neck. We riped the frets out a few years back because they would cut my hand and what not. Now we refilled them and stained it/repainted/new pickguard/stuffified it. Ran into problems with the pickups/pickguard though (At the bottom if you can help). But first, pics or it didn't happen.

Cheap Parts All Removed

Body (Pearl with spots missed)

Torn up

Primed

Painted

Neck, knocked out the fret filler we used and the pearl inlays.

Sanding

Started sanding the brand off

Filled and sanded
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Stained once

Twice

All together (kinda)

THE PROBLEM!

The pups don't fit they are the cheap ones that came with it. I can make them work if I do a little bit of sanding on the pick guard, but they will be low and unajustable. I was wondering how that would turn out? Oppinions on just doing that? Also, if I bought new pup covers, would they fit on my cheap off brand pups?

Hope you guys like it.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Last edited by EBass at Jun 19, 2011,
Looks pretty sweet. Would also like to do something like that when I get the time!
BTW I like the way how you put the pickguard in a coolerbox.
Quote by davis_kiel
Looks pretty sweet. Would also like to do something like that when I get the time!
BTW I like the way how you put the pickguard in a coolerbox.

Haha, it was already on the table so we just put the stuff in there.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
You should recut the fret slots and inlay with maple white strips fo remark the fretless neck
But hey thats what I think.

Sharp tools to ya!!
i got a $50 shortscale bass and im about to do almost the same thing with it...just im putting an american flag "mural" on the body
Who's your daddy... well not me cuz ur momas ugly

These things are sex transport vehichles woot

This man just got a station wagon.
Quote by dsss guitars
You should recut the fret slots and inlay with maple white strips fo remark the fretless neck
But hey thats what I think.

Sharp tools to ya!!

Well, my plan is to just get it black and mark where the 5th, 7th, and 12th fret harmonics are on the side (where I look down and see) because I play a little bit of upright and those are what I have marked on it.

Quote by gtosteve65
i got a $50 shortscale bass and im about to do almost the same thing with it...just im putting an american flag "mural" on the body

That seems pretty awesome, I just went with a black and white theme because I thought it would be easy and still turn out cool.

Also, any help with the pup problem? I figure the worst that could happen is I buy new white pup covers and have to sand down the actual pups to make them fit into the covers.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
samething happened to me, i just modified the pickguard a bit and it worked fine
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette