I've decided I need to change the volume and tone pots on my Fender Strat for a number of reasons, mostly because they're almost 20 years old and I don't feel like I've got the right sound anymore. Problem is, I don't know what type of pots to get, and even if I do, I don't trust myself to wire them in because when I installed a humbucker in last year, I didn't wire it correctly; I get sound from the humbucker in the bridge and the single coil in the neck, but not the single coil in the middle, and the tone knob doesn't have any effect on the humbucker.
So essentially, what pots will I be needing? And how much would it cost for a rewiring job?
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
most pots you'll find are CTS or alpha, and either work just fine

20 year old pots most likely aren't whats giving you the wrong sound though.. unless you're just getting crackling from them
Quote by james4
most pots you'll find are CTS or alpha, and either work just fine

20 year old pots most likely aren't whats giving you the wrong sound though.. unless you're just getting crackling from them

It could be a combination, since I'm getting a crackling every time I turn the volume knob. And it could just be that I wired them in badly, and I figure if I'm going to be doing rewiring work and I don't know how I messed it up last time, I'd prefer just to get new parts.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser