Ive been trying to write an instrumental for my gf's birthday, and I'm stuck on one bit.

Basically, its a short harmonized solo. The key is C (whole songs on C Major), and I harmonized it in thirds.
It ended up sounding very "moody" and kinda sad.

Can someone suggest how I should go about harmonizing it?
I'm trying to get a more "romantic" kinda feel, sorta like Joe Satriani's "Clouds Race Across The Sky", or LTE's "Freedom of Speech", that sorta vibe.
If you're in C major, your third is gonna be the Phrygian scale, which features a diminished second, a minor third, and a minor sixth. That will give you a very minor sound. You could stick with thirds, but avoid going for notes that will give you a minor sound. You would need to post the song you're writing for more in-depth help, but that's the gist of it. If you want a brighter, less moody sounding part, you avoid those minor intervals (the third and the sixth and that diminished second).
You can always try harmonizing in fourths or sixths. And always try to keep the harmonizing note below the actual note, so that it doesn't over power the actual solo. In case you weren't already.
Quote by Geldin
If you're in C major, your third is gonna be the Phrygian scale, which features a diminished second, a minor third, and a minor sixth. That will give you a very minor sound. You could stick with thirds, but avoid going for notes that will give you a minor sound. You would need to post the song you're writing for more in-depth help, but that's the gist of it. If you want a brighter, less moody sounding part, you avoid those minor intervals (the third and the sixth and that diminished second).

Basically the solo bit goes like this-

D|--9-10-12-9-10-12-9-10-12-9-10-12-9-10-12-9-10-12-10-9/7-9-10-7-9-10-7-9-10-7-9-10-7-9-10-7-9-10-9-7/

D|--5-7-9-5-7-9-5-7-9-5-7-9-5-7-9-5-7-9/3/2
A|---------------------------------------------------3~

Its pretty slow, no shredding.

Also can you explain what you mean by "phrygian" scale? I thought Phrygian was a mode name? Im a noob at theory

Quote by bosshog11
You can always try harmonizing in fourths or sixths. And always try to keep the harmonizing note below the actual note, so that it doesn't over power the actual solo. In case you weren't already.

I set it to a third up......is that bad?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 19, 2011,