Budget: 200usd~ (Flexible)
Genres: Prog, metal, punk, death, black, Jazz.
New or Used: Would prefer used.
Home or Gig: Home
Closest City: Lansing, MI
Current Gear: See sig.

So, I lost my job, and probably gonna have to move back in with my folks for a bit, since finding a job has been tough. And they don't want me playing my big ass amps, so I figure I would just pick up an amp that has a really low power consumption. I'm not sure if that would mean like a 1 or 5w amp.

I have been looking at the Blackstar ht-1, but I'm not sure. I just need to be able to explain to my parents when I play guitar that my amp only uses a very small amount of electricity.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Why not get a modelling pedal like a Pod and use headphones?
Either way, you need a modeller of some sort, or a tiny head.
Vypyr is the go to amp for the Brootz on a budget.
See if you can score a used POD of some sort.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/2441107238.html

I own one, its a pretty nice pedal.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/2435107105.html
Pretty nice amp, though Vypyr is better for br00tz
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Why not get a modelling pedal like a Pod and use headphones?
Either way, you need a modeller of some sort, or a tiny head.
Vypyr is the go to amp for the Brootz on a budget.
See if you can score a used POD of some sort.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/2441107238.html

I own one, its a pretty nice pedal.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/2435107105.html
Pretty nice amp, though Vypyr is better for br00tz

I own a 15w Vypyr, but that is not the point of this thread.

I'm looking for a good tone from an amp that uses a very small amount of electricity.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I own a 15w Vypyr, but that is not the point of this thread.

I'm looking for a good tone from an amp that uses a very small amount of electricity.

The HT1 will suck more power than a Vypyr anything with tubes will suck power big time whether all tube or not.

My KB4 is 75W, and has a max consumption of 150W. A GH50L has a max of 300.
A 5150 120W will suck 400-500, maybe more.

A modeller is your best bet for good tones with low power consumption TBH.
Wattage (In the way we talk about it regarding amplifiers) is output power, not power consumption. No guarantee a 5w amp consumes less power than a 15w amp.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by GNR4EVER
Wattage (In the way we talk about it regarding amplifiers) is output power, not power consumption. No guarantee a 5w amp consumes less power than a 15w amp.

damn skippy.

if you have a computer with computer speakers then that may be your best bet, use some modeling software. or maybe a battery powered amp with optional AC adapter if power consumption is a big deal.

roc just did a great post on power consumption, shows that even a fairly 'big' amp won't consume that much power.

if you are after a low power output amp, then know that a 1 watt amp can sound as loud as a jackhammer... so maybe you just need an amp with a master volume knob?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Like GNR said, lower amp wattage =/= lower power consumption. It depends on quite a few factors.

I think things like the power tubes used, your output volume and the amount of gain all affect the power consumption.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
But seriously guys a 50W JCM800 draws a maximum of 175W from the wall. 175W is nothing. You'd be hard pressed to find a device in the house that used less. Your can opener probably uses as much.
This isn't about the power actually being used obviously, it's a about the perceived power being consumed. In particular what his parents perceive. So there are two ways to approach this:

1. Deal with the perception. Show your parents the manual for your amp and point to the power consumption wattage - not the output power of the amp, it's consumption. It will be listed on the specs page. Then show them the power consumption of something that's on all the time, like the TV, computer, or if there is an electrical heater even better.
If they are willing to listen - and you know them, not me, then the issue is solved.

2. Work with the perception. Get yourself something that looks like it would use less power. HT1 is an option but I'm sure even a Class 5 would give the impression of being small and cheap to run. The size of the speaker cab is what will give the overall biggest perception of size so just go for a smallish amp and nothing bigger than a 1x12"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
agreed

but, i am thinking this is more about power output, but i am only guessing. think he may have just minced ideas or maybe assumed a relationship with power consumption and power output.

-ae
Well a general rule of thumb is about 3 to 4 times the power output. That can vary a bit though, especially if there's a computer in there. How much those things will pull is a crap shoot - too many different types.
But as I said, even a tube amp will insane numbers of tubes with all those heaters doesn't actually use much power in the general scheme of a household. It's pissing in the ocean really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I just need to be able to explain to my parents when I play guitar that my amp only uses a very small amount of electricity.

damn, i am a moron. missed that part, guess i need to read the whole post. cath is right though, you can run an amp for cheaper than you can feed a kid in Africa.

-ae