Okay, so I've been playing 3 years and I just recently noticed this. Is there any 'proper' way to do a trill? By this I mean: When I usually trill my fretting hand is angled around the neck, kinda like when you do vibrato, but I've seen people do it at different angles too, like with fingers straightened out more, or arched more. I also noticed that when I tried both those ways, the speed of my trills was changed too. Anyway, just something I've wondered about lately! Thanks for any input!

By the way don't tell me 'Do what's comfortable for you.' because I already am sticking to my own way, but this is just something I've noticed and was wondering about
not sure if there is a "proper" way

i just do them same way as hammer-ons/pull-offs, just fast
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
*Karate Kid Wax-on Wax-off*

Hammer On,
Pull Off.

Trill's are in essence, really fast hammerons and pull offs.

Just as Vibrato is fast bending.
METAL!
i think the key factors are accuracy and consistency.
Accuracy means perfect strike of the finger tip to get the most power and volume with the least effort.
At the same time, getting your pull-offs as efficient as possible.
That's something you just gotta feel out until you find it.

Consistency is just practicing enough to be always accurate, & being able to repeat your technique correctly at all times. By the way, there's no harm in practicing trills & legato patterns very slowly to sort these things out.

Once you have developed both, then it becomes much easier to reduce the finger travel distance needed to get a great sounding trill. That's where the speed comes from. It should be pretty effortless. You should never have to strain or try extra hard to trill fast.

Personally, I like to keep my fingers a little bit straighter for trilling. It feels more natural.
WIth curved fingers... It feels like extra work or something - I get a more effective pure up/down motion with straighter fingers.
But that's just me... I'm sure others do just fine their own way.
Quote by mrbabo91
watch how dave murray trills

Dave is a God, I love playing legato solos, he's my biggest inspiration in that area of my playing.
To keep the string active and the music notes not dying out, you have to *slightly* pull-off on the string. Otherwise it will die out after a handful of trill repetitions.

Try trilling very, very slowly. Like one note each second. Hammer-on, hammer-off, one second each.

You should be able to do this for 30 seconds in a row and not have the sound die out on you.

Then speed it up and reduce the effort/increase the efficiency. Then you will have a true, fast, clean trill.

Trilling on a guitar is unusual compared to bowed or wind instruments. The fret hand is also responsible for maintaining the sound energy.
There's two kinds of trills, one is the hammer/pull one, where your thumb is behind the neck.

The other one I would call a "blues" trill, where the point is to slightly pull the note out of tune as well. If your thumb is over the neck and you trill between index and ring you'll probably do it naturally.