I started in the Promote Your Band Forum, but this didn't seem to fit.

If there's a better place for it, I'd like to know!

I just need some help picking a font for album art. The CD is going to be called "Tell Me If I'm Breathing." I have a font for our band name picked out, and a very similar font for the album title, but I'm not too sure about it.

I'd prefer a font that's free for any use, and a link to dafont or a downloading site would be really helpful.

Here's the art:

Image ©The Broken Resolve
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
Quote by andyscoot
It works for me personally, but more as an EP than a full length

that's exactly what it is. It'll be a 4-5 song EP. I'm just wondering if anything would look a little better...
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
maybe have the black bit around the writing more jagged since it's meant to be 'broken' ?
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
We're kind of an alternative rock/pop punk band. Not really poppy like All Time Low or anything, but not really rough and punky.

Music can be found here.
listen to "Overcome" We've moved pretty far from the other two that are posted there. We're heavier sounding than those recordings. They're over two years old so it's about time we get some new music out haha
TABBERS WANTED
Reminds me of New Found Glory's Sticks and Stones.

Anything more serious than that, I'd suggest something else.
I like it, it's appealing. It catches your eye so I think people would notice it in a shop
"Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining" - Wrex
I'm just wondering about the font for "Tell Me If I'm Breathing." It's the same font as "The Broken Resolve" and I kinda want something different, but one that would still look good
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by matt-attack
Comic Sans is the only way to go

Jolly good idea, mate!
TABBERS WANTED
alright, being a digital designer i can tell you why the font doesn't work too well (it still looks nice). the problem your having is that the type of typography doesn't match the background. the sticker label thing suggests a type of alternative samey cookie cutter low budget band (as its used alot on cassette tapes and in design aspects of punk and alternative).

but the background is using a gray-blue paint brush style. this suggests calmness and also creativity (but grounded). although those aspects are fine individually, the 2 conflict each other. people usually don't notice this, but it registers on a subconscious level. try to capture the genre of the music in the design.

if you do have any questions id be glad to help out.
Last edited by jsync at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by jsync
alright, being a digital designer i can tell you why the font doesn't work too well (it still looks nice). the problem your having is that the type of typography doesn't match the background. the sticker label thing suggests a type of alternative samey cookie cutter low budget band (as its used alot on cassette tapes and in design aspects of punk and alternative).

but the background is using a gray-blue paint brush style. this suggests calmness and also creativity (but grounded). although those aspects are fine individually, the 2 conflict each other. people usually don't notice this, but it registers on a subconscious level. try to capture the genre of the music in the design.

if you do have any questions id be glad to help out.

that's kind of what I was thinking too. i kind of like the conflict of the label and the grungy painted part in the background. it kind of does capture our genre. we have a punk rockish sound, but more defined and less raw. what i'm having trouble with is the typography of the album name. would it look better with a cursive-type font?
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by JRib1216
that's kind of what I was thinking too. i kind of like the conflict of the label and the grungy painted part in the background. it kind of does capture our genre. we have a punk rockish sound, but more defined and less raw. what i'm having trouble with is the typography of the album name. would it look better with a cursive-type font?

actually what i would suggest first is focusing on the background. if its punk/rock, try warmer colours. stay away from grunge brushes, they're more commonly associated with heavier stuff.

if you change the font and keep the bg, it'll be more reminiscent of calmer genres. like 80's pop. i wouldn't suggest cursive, thats way off.
Quote by jsync
actually what i would suggest first is focusing on the background. if its punk/rock, try warmer colours. stay away from grunge brushes, they're more commonly associated with heavier stuff.

if you change the font and keep the bg, it'll be more reminiscent of calmer genres. like 80's pop. i wouldn't suggest cursive, thats way off.

i'm not looking to change the font of the "The Broken Resolve" part, just the album name. I'd like to keep the label-look for the first part and then maybe a cursive-ish look for the album title
TABBERS WANTED
I have a couple of suggestions, if you'd like to consider them:

1 - How about you remove the black thingy around "The Broken Resolve" and use a simple black font instead? I feel that'd be more pleasing to look at, because the background art has light colours throughout, and it doesn't really give the best effect when a black box pops out in the middle.

2 - For the "Tell Me If I'm Breathing" part, try using a cursive sort of font. Nothing too fancy, and with a black coloured-font here as well. And place it in the lower-right corner.

Here are some cursives. The "Scriptina" font might be a good fit.

Hope this helps. ^_^
yeah having 2 very different fonts will be too conflicting.
So y'all aren't really fans of it looking like this?

TABBERS WANTED