Alright, so I am using a sample of a bass drum right now, and went I put it into the track it was already clipping (which means it must've been clipping when it was recorded right?) so I tried compressing it to prevent it from clipping but then it doesn't cut through very well. Any suggestions on how to EQ/compress it so that it will stay at a decent volume without clipping?
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Alright, so I am using a sample of a bass drum right now, and went I put it into the track it was already clipping (which means it must've been clipping when it was recorded right?) so I tried compressing it to prevent it from clipping but then it doesn't cut through very well. Any suggestions on how to EQ/compress it so that it will stay at a decent volume without clipping?

Turn the track down to stop it compressing (if it's a ready-to-use sample) as it is probably already compressed a lot (and compressing again is multiplying the compression ratios together!), and for it to be loud enough to cut through (if EQ isn't the issue) lower the volumes of other tracks. Don't be afraid to turn things down instead of compression, you can apply make-up gain in mastering to get the volume back up again.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
It's quite possibly a setting in your sample-replacement software. I would check the input and output gains if you have them available.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.