I'm no sure if anyone out there can help me, but here goes.

I inherited a blonde Les Paul Copy from my dad when he passed away in 1993 and I'd like to know more about it, including the value.
He had several guitars, so I have no idea where or when he got it.
No name on the headstock and no markings in the neck pocket or under the pups.
The only "name" on it is 'BLUESKY' on the neckplate.
All of the hardware that would normally be plastic is hand engraved brass, including the pickguard and the covers on the back.

I own and play guitars, so scammers need not bother.

Thanks!
Attachments:
100_4177 (2).jpg
Last edited by bluestothemax at Jun 19, 2011,
it's very hard to say, your best bet is to try and find out where it is made (and then if you are lucky, maybe the year of manufacture). if you could get a pic of the headstock, that may help, if it is of particular style it could be traced back to the 70's before gibson cracked down a aesthetics of copies. if i were to guess, i would say it is a 70's or 80's jap copy.

may be worth a couple hundred bucks, if it plays as good as some of those LP copies from japan from back in the day then it is 'worth' more than you could get someone to pay.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Do you play guitar? If you don't you should keep it anyway and learn, for your dad of course.
you're a stone fox
Hard to give an "accurate" estimate. Although used equipment is worth only what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Being a guitar that your dad passed to you 18 years ago I would have thought sentimental value would outweight fiscal worth.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I do play, and at this point, I have no intention of selling it. It's curiosity more than anything.
It's still kind of hard to say - are there any luthiers in the area near where you live (or lived 18 years ago)?
Just wondered if you contacted one they may be able to suggest who built it and for whom it was built for. I would assume it's a custom order or built in very limited quantities. It may even have had a "famous" owner in the past or something similar.
If there's a couple of long established luthiers around chances are they would recognise the work of a fellow artisan.
Quote by bluestothemax
The headstock looks very much like a Gibson, but it's blank.

that 'open book' headstock caused a couple of lawsuits back in the day (ibanez was sued in 76, i think, for using that style of headstock). since then copiers were a bit more careful to stay off the radar. i'm swayed more toward mid 70's guitar now.

http://www.guitarattack.com/destroyer/lawsuit.htm

still won't get much for it though. 70's jap copy guitars were notorious for being pretty damn good though, but many are worth little money.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 20, 2011,
Elderly Instruments says, with great authority, that it's an Asian Les Paul copy, circa 1975-85. They were sold in discount stores and "mom & pop" music stores.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and ideas, and no, it's not for sale.
Cool - get a nice stand or wall mount for it.

Have you plugged it in and heard it? Forget the cash value, what's the sound like?