Recently picked up a glass slide as a novelty. Have never really delved into slide playing but as soon as I tried I realized it's a hell of a lot harder than it looks!

So now that I've reached the ever-so accomplished state of being able to play slide notes without sounding like dump, I find myself trying to play vibrato...and it ain't happening. From slide players I've watched, they look like they just gently move the slide from side to side over the fret, but when I do that there's no change in the note whatsoever, so I'm sure there's more to it.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst
Fender Blues Jr. NOS
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion/OD
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
MXR Dyna Comp
It sounds like your pressing down too hard, try pressing down as lightly as you can. Then once you've mastered that, gently shake almost the slide back and forth Good Luck!
Thank you! Just discovered I was doing it rather wrong. Now it's fine.

Do you have any beginner/intermediate slide guitar songs you would recommend to get better?
Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst
Fender Blues Jr. NOS
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion/OD
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
MXR Dyna Comp
Try:
Led Zeppelin - In My Time Of Dying.
Its the first slide song I had a go at, but its in open A (I think).
Check out something maybe like ZZ Top's "Tush" or The Allman Brothers palying "Statesboro Blues".

Also, if your intersested in working on your slide, listen to Elmore James and try some Delta Blues (I'm assuming you already konw the likes of Dereck Trucks, Johnny Winter and others), plenty of slide and open tunings there.
Quote by NosralTserrof
Look at all the stars! **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****