i've been playing guitar a few yrs now, one thing ive always always wanted to do is be able to play fast. not exactly sweeping as i'm not really a fan of that music, but solos as speedy as communication breakdown, back in black etc.

so i've decided the first fast-ish solo i'd like to learn is stairway to heaven. i'm wondering if you guys have any tips for how to learn this and get it up to speed. i can play the first like, 15 seconds of it at full speed but its a bit sloppy. i want to have this solo fully down by the end of september, at full speed and not sloppy at all.

so basically, i wanna learn fast solos and im learning the stairway solo, so can you give me tips of the best and most efficient way of practising it and getting it up to speed?
cheers
I think the best way , and what most people would regard as the "best way", would be to use a metronome.

Split the solo up into sections (very short sections). Then use a metronome and set it on a very low BPM. Basically you find the BPM that you can play the solo cleanly at then subtract about 20-40 BPM. you want to be playing the solo PERFECT at this speed.

So now that you have our metronome set, start by practising the first section with it. OVER AND OVER again. Then Do the next section and so on. After you have done the whole solo with the metronome set at really low then you can up the BPM to about 2-4 more. The rinse and repeat.

By the end of the summer you will have this solo down PERFECT at top speed if you do this regularly.

There are a lot of lessons on this and I'm sure they can explain this better than I can.

And remember; the purpose of going slower than you have to is to observe carefully what your fingers are doing. ONLY practice the parts you have trouble doing. Be relaxed the whole time and go SLOWW.

This advice has helped me learn the sultans of swing solo very well.

EDIT: Oh and make sure you listen the crap out of the solo. Listen to it while relaxing or doing anything. Because it will stick in your head and will be THAT much easier to remember.
Last edited by Dig_a_Pony at Jun 19, 2011,
the problem i have with using a metronome is i dont seem to be able to play the correct rhythm of the notes when its not at the correct tempo if you get me.
Quote by bbtemp
the problem i have with using a metronome is i dont seem to be able to play the correct rhythm of the notes when its not at the correct tempo if you get me.

yes, I definitely have this problem sometimes too. But once you "learn" how to fix this then you will be SO much better at keeping rhythm.

For me, it was all about trial and error. I would try and come in on one part of the "click" and if that didn't work I would try a different part. Now it comes naturally for me. Just be sure to KEEP AT IT. and that's why you must be SUPER focused and concentrate while practising. Don't just daydream while using your muscle memory!

Another practise you can try is play the solo VERY slowly WITHOUT a metronome. But I mean like one note per 5 seconds. You have to be focusing on how your fingers move and place themselves on a string.