I'm gonna have this amp soon, and have read about people saying that the "mute button" is useful for recording silently. How exactly does that work? Isn't the point to mic your speakers and record with sound?

(this is not a troll thread if you think it is)
Quote by fixationdarknes
I'm gonna have this amp soon, and have read about people saying that the "mute button" is useful for recording silently. How exactly does that work? Isn't the point to mic your speakers and record with sound?

it has an 'emulator out' on the back, so you'd run an XLR directly to the board or recorder instead of micing the amp
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by fixationdarknes
Doesn't that make it sound not as good as mic'ing the amp?

Yes. Always mic the amp when you can. IMO that returns best results.
So it's not actually expected that you can achieve as professional of a sound when running the XLR into the mixing board? More of just a second option for when you can't make noise? I wish I could make that work though, loud noise always pisses off my family and the people around me XD
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Yes. Always mic the amp when you can. IMO that returns best results.

exactly, it's your opinion. happens to be i agree with you for the most part, but it would be very easy to make a case against it.

So it's not actually expected that you can achieve as professional of a sound when running the XLR into the mixing board? More of just a second option for when you can't make noise? I wish I could make that work though, loud noise always pisses off my family and the people around me XD

do you have mics? do you have a recording unit? sounds like you already found a good reason to use it.

i refuse to make claims on how professional sounding it is as i haven't tried it, but it won't sound exactly like a micing the cab (for better or worse) because you aren't micing the cab.

i know that all kinda sound obvious, but these opinions are not absolutes. you may be really pleased to find you don't have to stick a mic in front of your amp for recording and have an alternate convenient and quality way of recording your guitar.

my advice is to try it when you get it, judge it from it's merits and drawbacks and then decided whether you like it or not.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 19, 2011,
it actually doesn't sound bad at all when using the emulated out. I use that for most of my recordings.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
The emulated output by itself sounds terrible. Its very harsh and brittle. With some form of good cab emulator it would probably sound decent, but by itself its bad.