Hello all,
I am looking to buy my first custom shop guitar. I am getting it from jackson and have come to a predicament as to what set of EMGs i should equip it with, the 81/85, 81/60, or the 85/60. If you can tell me what type of a sound if would get from each set and whether or not you would recommend them through personal experience. Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks guys

KEEP IT METAL
I like the 81/85 combo in my Schecter. The 85 is smoother than the 60 as a neck p'up and the 81 gives incredible distortion.

The 81/60 is what the guys from Metallica use. So if you listen to their live tone, you should get a pretty good representation from that.

I've played a guitar with an 85 in the bridge position once and it was a lot crunchier IIRC than the 81.

Not sure if this helps but I tried.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by GibsonMan321
I like the 81/85 combo in my Schecter. The 85 is smoother than the 60 as a neck p'up and the 81 gives incredible distortion.

Yeah, but the 60 is a lot clearer.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by JohnGR
What do you want to play with them?

play with them? are you talking amps and effects or what?
can't go wrong with the 81/60 and hell, if your getting a custom shop try out the new James Hetfield ones! haha and if you dont like them you could always sell them and get regular ones
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by killed 'em all
play with them? are you talking amps and effects or what?

I mean what kind of music do you want to play with the EMGs? I assume heavy metal like Metallica and stuff?
Quote by JohnGR
I mean what kind of music do you want to play with the EMGs? I assume heavy metal like Metallica and stuff?

oh, haha yeah...i play alot of slayer, metallica, pantera, megadeth, a little anthrax, some trivium, random riffs, and whatever me and my co guitarist and/or friends come up with
Quote by killed 'em all
oh, haha yeah...i play alot of slayer, metallica, pantera, megadeth, a little anthrax, some trivium, random riffs, and whatever me and my co guitarist and/or friends come up with

Ok... I have tried all these combos and I think the most versatile is 60n/85b which I currently use and is my favourite... For the neck position the 81 and the 85 aren't so good if you want to play with clean sound. However the 60 has a creamy and ballanced tone and it just feels right in the neck imo... For the bridge position I think the 85 has a fuller tone than the 81 and is also better for solos... If you don't really need clean sound then go for the 81n/85b combo. All three pickups handle high gain very well.
Sorry for my English btw, I live in Greece...