Hey guys, sorry if these are noob questions, but I guess I don't know enough about guitars to figure it out myself.

Ok, so I'm looking into buying a new guitar because all I have ever had is a Peavy Tracer, and I want a guitar that is a little nicer. I really like the Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR, but today I saw that they also had the Hellraiser Special C-1 FR. The Special is way cheaper, but honestly I can't find much of difference between the two. I don't want to waste my money on the more expensive one if there is not much of a difference. So I just wanted to know what you guys thought about it.

My second question you all have probably heard a million times, so sorry if that is the case.

Both of those guitars obviously have Floyd Rose tremolos. Now I've heard that you can't change the tuning on Floyd Rose guitars very easily. Is that true? My Tracer has a tremolo system (not a floyd rose) and I change the tuning on that all the time. What's the difference?

Oh, and I don't do drastic tuning changes. I just switch back and forth from standard and Drop D. So it's not like I'm going all the way to Drop C or anything if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!

Edit: heres the links to the two guitars
Hellraiser C-1 FR

Hellraiser Special C-1 FR
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jun 19, 2011,
You'll need an allen wrench to take off the locking nut, down tune, replace the nut, and retune. If you're doing it in a show, you will hate it. I hope you're not planning on selling your Peavey, you can have that one in whichever tuning you use less. That's a better option than detuning and retuning the same guitar over and over.

As far as differences between the Hellraiser and the Special, the special's neck is Maple instead of Mahogany which will give a brighter sound, the inlays aren't as ornate, the non-special has coil tap and more control options, and the original uses an original Floyd Rose and the Special has some kind of modified version. At least, that's what I can tell from the Schecter site, I don't have experience with these guitars in person.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
C1 has an original Flyd rose, the Special has a Liscesned version, there's a big difference in quality.

The C1 also has Grover tuners, those are better than a schecter factory brand, and an EMG 81tx/89tx pickup config and the Special has 81/85.

The 81tx/89/tx is a more versatile combo as they are already coil tapped, and the 81x has a better punch than the regular 81

Tuning a guitar with a floyd is easy, unscrew the locking nut with an allan wrench and tune up. Your other guitar probably just has a strat like trem system with no locking nut. The flyd rose locks at the bridge and nut
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
Floyd Rose's are meant to keep your guitar in tune really good, but since it all revolves around tension and springs and gizmo's and bits of dark anti matter born in Alexi Laiho's vagina after he had a bad night with Herman Li, umm, changing the pitch on one string therefore alters the pitch all all the others, making tuning a bitch. More of a bitch than Alexi Laiho.
Floyd's are for showoff's anyway. Like Herman Li. *GUITAR KICK YEAH* No.
\
And if you want to change tuning on a FR, it's a complicated process. You have to get the guitar properly set up..
And if you keep doing it yourself, you'll end up breaking the floyd rose system.

Just get a "Hard Tail" guitar and save yourself Alexi Laihos' period pain.

Thankyou, Respectful member of the Guitar Coumminity.
METAL!
In addition to the wood differences it looks like they use different hardware for each guitar. The more expensive use original Grover tuners and original Floyd Rose, while the special uses licensed Schechter hardware. The more expensive model essentially uses more quality hardware than the special, but I imagine both guitars are extremely solid choices.

Aside from being a pain in the butt to change tuning on the fly, changing the tuning drastically will wreak havoc on a FR system. With a hardtail the tension of the strings is balanced by the truss rod in the neck and anchored by the bridge, which is stable. With a FR the bridge moves so the string tension is balanced by the springs (found in the back of the guitar), so adjusting tuning requires spring tension adjustment or your action/intonation will go out of whack.
OK guys thanks for the info. The Hellraiser C-1 FR seems way better now

And if that is all you have to do to tune the FLoyd Rose, then that not that bad. I don't really play live or anything at this time.

Plus I could always just have that and my Peavey tuned differently since I'm not selling it.

Thanks
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Haha, they beat me to it. Unless your set on a FR I would heed the advice of going for the hardtail model, much more user friendly, especially if you aren't familiar with maintaining a FR system.
Sorry I can't help with the first question, but I can help you out with the second question.

You got that right. You can't really change the tuning on a floyd rose system without taking a ton of time to do so. The only real solution to that is the D-Tuna. I think that got popularized by van halen. You hook that into the system some how and you can changed between drop d and standard by just pulling on it.

To the second part of you question. A tremolo system has springs on the back so that you can push down on the tremolo bar and do the dive bomb thing. The main difference is that the body holds the trem in place so that there is no tension on the strings. Here is what makes the Floyd Rose a floating trem system. Just like your other guitar a Floyd Rose system has springs on the back of the guitar. Instead of the body holding the trem the strings are holding it. The tension of the strings is equal to that of the springs on the back therefore the floating bridge. So you can push the tremolo bar down and loosen the strings or you can push it the other way and bend the pitch. The biggest selling point is that this system keeps the strings perfectly in tune longer. With your other guitar you probably had to tune it every time you played, but now it's not a huge issue.

Hope that helps.
Quote by Piinball
Haha, they beat me to it. Unless your set on a FR I would heed the advice of going for the hardtail model, much more user friendly, especially if you aren't familiar with maintaining a FR system.

Yea after reading all that I might go with the hardtail. I wan't set on a FR, it just seemed like a nice perk to a guitar I really liked. My Peavey has a tremolo system so it's not that big of a deal if this one doesn't have one.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by Ultraussie
Floyd Rose's are meant to keep your guitar in tune really good, but since it all revolves around tension and springs and gizmo's and bits of dark anti matter born in Alexi Laiho's vagina after he had a bad night with Herman Li, umm, changing the pitch on one string therefore alters the pitch all all the others, making tuning a bitch. More of a bitch than Alexi Laiho.
Floyd's are for showoff's anyway. Like Herman Li. *GUITAR KICK YEAH* No.
\
And if you want to change tuning on a FR, it's a complicated process. You have to get the guitar properly set up..
And if you keep doing it yourself, you'll end up breaking the floyd rose system.

Just get a "Hard Tail" guitar and save yourself Alexi Laihos' period pain.

Thankyou, Respectful member of the Guitar Coumminity.

Over-opinionated troll say what?

The only truth in that post is that if you shift pitch on one string, all strings are affected. WHICH CAN BE A COOL THING, if you play around with it enough.