Ok im not too sure if thats actually what its called but... I want to record my drums. They aren't an electric set. I have four mics and I want each one to have its own track in reaper when I record. So the bass drum would be its own track and the snare would be and the overheads would both be different while recording one take. When I have all four mics plugged into my mixer every mic comes through each track and I cant figure out how to separate them. Any help??
As you've said mixer, I'm willing to bet the output is stereo, rather than individual outputs for each track, so the most you could ever get is two isolated tracks,by panning two sources hard left and hard right.You need an audio interface to enable you to use more tracks (or a new soundcard with multiple inputs, but the interface will be cheaper for a higher quality I'd imagine, as well as much easier to setup running smoothly).

Edit: Or I've misunderstood you're wording, and it's what crossback said (that you have each track's inputs set the same, but then you'd need inputs 1-4 somehow selected on all tracks automatically, which I figured is unlikely).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jun 19, 2011,
You can't use a mixer. A mixer can only output 2 tracks max, the L and R.

If you want to do what you're talking you need an audio interface like this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuProj/

You're in an akward spot though, because the interface usually only go 2 XLR inputs then to something like that with 8+, theres not many with 4 or 6.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Quote by Ghast
You can't use a mixer. A mixer can only output 2 tracks max, the L and R.

If you want to do what you're talking you need an audio interface like this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuProj/

You're in an akward spot though, because the interface usually only go 2 XLR inputs then to something like that with 8+, theres not many with 4 or 6.

This is true. I have one with 8, a Tascam US-2000 that I use, and I highly recommend it. It's expensive though, set me back about $350.
ok so with the interface I can set each input as a different track?

Would this one work? Its the closest thing I found to the us-2000

Clicky
Last edited by ultimate-rocker at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by ultimate-rocker

Clicky

Yeah the 1800 will work. I have one
Quote by ultimate-rocker

Clicky

Yes it will.
Do you love Alice In Chains and Metallica? How about Tool and Velvet Revolver?...then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in awhile...-->The Liberty Underground<--
I decided I don't need 8 inputs yet and need to save some money. I do need 4 inputs however and I found an interface with four inputs. Two of my mics are 1/4th cables so this works fine... but will this interface do the same as the 1800 and is it a good interface?

Interface
WHOOOAAAA!!!! Wait a second here! Depending on what kind of mixer you have, you can TOTALLY do this with a mixer.

You can get more than just R/L output from a mixer by:
-direct outs (my Behringer UB2442 mixer had those.)
-using insert points (even more common than direct outs) on each track
-using aux sends ( a little MacGyver-ish, but can totally work )
-using subgroups

The over-riding question here is "does your current setup support the multiple inputs required for the multiple outputs you can set up?"

The way I used to record was to run the first eight direct outs on my mixer into the first eight analog inputs on my Delta 1010. It worked a treat.

Without a proper interface, you probably can't record any more than two tracks at once. So, your problem here is not the mixer, but more likely, your lack of insufficient INPUTS to your computer.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yea I dont have any direct outs on my mixer... or not enough at least.. and I've been in the market for an interface for a while now and I want to step up my set up anyway... Will any interface multi-track?
There's a lot of dumb advice going on here, save for axemanchris. Some (see: cheap, shitty) mixers only output to stereo, but most provide you with options. How the hell do you guys think consoles output multiple channels into DAWs -- not all use dedicated channel outs.

OP, what "mixer" do you own, and how (if it does) does it connect to your DAW? If your mixer has lightpipe, firewire, etc. you can easily keep all your independent channels.
Its a cheap two channel behringer mixer and i just use the rca to the line in to my computer by an rca to 1/4th cable. I do want to upgrade to an interface though.. I just need to know if the one im looking at will allow me to set 4 separate channels for 4 separate mics at one time.
Quote by climhazzard
There's a lot of dumb advice going on here, save for axemanchris. Some (see: cheap, shitty) mixers only output to stereo, but most provide you with options. How the hell do you guys think consoles output multiple channels into DAWs -- not all use dedicated channel outs.

OP, what "mixer" do you own, and how (if it does) does it connect to your DAW? If your mixer has lightpipe, firewire, etc. you can easily keep all your independent channels.

If his mixer has firewire etc. then it is also technically an audio interface as it has A/D converters. It is obvious from the OP that he only has a cheap mixer (he's talking about only being able to use four mics), and professional analogue mixers used in modern studios will always be followed by high-end converters so this is pretty irrelevant.

And furthermore, how do you propose one gets several inputs from an analogue mixer into a stock pc? Last time I checked, a typical computer has one input to the soundcard. At best that allows a stereo input, and due to the poor quality of most stock soundcards it would sound pants anyway.

At least chris is respectful when he brings up potential points - you were just irritating, especially acting so 'know-it-all' after chris had made your point first.
He didn't say he had a cheap mixer until after I posted, just that he had four mics. As he is able to use Reaper, I assumed his mixer had an A/D converter, which allowed him to transmit signal into his DAW. You don't even need to plug into the sound card, and really shouldn't -- if possible, you'll use FW, USB, etc. Then all he'd have to do is adjust the I/O on the four (or more) separate tracks in his DAW. Hence why one can plug 8 mics into an 003+, FW400 into the computer, and have each routed to its own individual track in a DAW.

I was irritating because I get irritated easily on these message boards. I stopped coming for a while, then decided to check in because our clients are late.

And I'm a know-it-all because I really do know it all.
Meh, this post was a bit too dick.
Last edited by climhazzard at Jun 25, 2011,
Can't be bothered to argue, not in the mood tonight, but suffice to say that the majority of people who would be asking questions like the TS did, are highly unlikely to have an audio interface capable of sending four or more tracks to their DAW, as many of them will be using cheap 2-4 track mixers not much bigger than what passed as a 'mobile' phone a decade or so ago and plugging the stereo out directly into their stock soundcard.

Most of them don't even know what A/D conversion is, let alone have anything equipped with converters and mic pre's to get a decent signal into their DAW with.

And you don't need to explain to me how to use a multi-channel audio interface thanks; I may be so far below your top notch producer level but I do have a few years experience with this under my belt and (so far) two years of a degree, so I can comprehend what you're trying to say without an explanation you might give to a toddler. In fact, I have an audio interface sitting right in front of me - fancy that.
Ok so I went ahead on got the us-144. When I tried mult-tracking I got the left and right xlr ports to be separate tracks but the line in's just come in through the xlr tracks. What am I doing wrong here..
Quote by ultimate-rocker
Ok so I went ahead on got the us-144. When I tried mult-tracking I got the left and right xlr ports to be separate tracks but the line in's just come in through the xlr tracks. What am I doing wrong here..

You bought an interface with only two channels...

It may well have 2 XLR and 2 line-ins, but you can't use all 4 at once. You can only use a combination of 2, i.e 2 XLR or 2 Line-in or 1 of each. You will not be able to record 4 tracks with individual outputs with this interface... hopefully you kept the receipt/details and can return it pronto to get your money back. On a sidenote, I'm surprised it even let you plug into XLR and line in on same channel and get both sounds - I'd have thought plugging into the line-in would bypass the XLR or you'd have to select one of them to use
Quote by DisarmGoliath
You bought an interface with only two channels...

It may well have 2 XLR and 2 line-ins, but you can't use all 4 at once. You can only use a combination of 2, i.e 2 XLR or 2 Line-in or 1 of each. You will not be able to record 4 tracks with individual outputs with this interface... hopefully you kept the receipt/details and can return it pronto to get your money back. On a sidenote, I'm surprised it even let you plug into XLR and line in on same channel and get both sounds - I'd have thought plugging into the line-in would bypass the XLR or you'd have to select one of them to use

Yea the sound came through but it was pretty faint. But yea I just bought it yesterday and I made sure to keep everything just incase. I will probably actually keep it because I will only need to run four tracks at a time once and maybe a while down the road.. I will mostly just be recording guitar, vocals and bass.
Yea actually I lied... I need the extra inputs. Now im looking at the Tascam us-600. It has four XLR inputs so that should give me 4 separate tracks correct?